Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Android or IOS?

Search this Thread

Old 25-09-2013, 09:19 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android or IOS?

Im due a phone but not sure which phone to get.
This is NOT a My Phone Better than yours thread.

Current phone Galaxy s2. Love it, been a really good phone, i use it to tether sometimes because my internet connection can sometimes be dodgy where i live. also like how i can use it as a portable storage device, and like how "Free and open" Android OS is.

But i Have a Macbook Pro and it is the best Cpu i have ever owned. So im thinking Maybe Iphone 6.......
Only Downside is i Have over 2000 Tunes on my iTunes, Will these need to go on my Iphone if i get one? Can i tether? im sure you cant use as portable hard drive without Jailbreaking....

The phones i have in mind are... Htc One Mini, Galaxy S4 Mini, Or Iphone 6.
Thanks.
Old 26-09-2013, 12:25 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go to a shop and have a play, however I wouldn't get a "mini" version if your wanting a good spec phone, there good still of course but lack one or two features that a normal HTC ONE or S4 would have. And I think you mean iphone 5S? The 6 would be next year.

Either of those 3 would have the ability to tether.

If going for the iphone make sure it's the lastest 5S, the 5 did not support all 4G/LTE bands, only a few were supported, but with the 5S there's more bands supported.

Depends what you mean by using as a portable HD? You can put pictures/vids/music on, if you mean like plugging it in via USB and dragging/dropping files then it's not quite as easy as that.

Last edited by BM08; 26-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 26-09-2013, 09:01 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really like apple though have loads of their products...I guess that speaks volumes.
I used to have a 4s but support opensource and google a lot so wanted to go Android.

To be honest since going Android I've lost all interest in my phone, the apps aren't on a par with IOS and I just find it under-matured in comparison.

As much as I hate Apple, I'd probably go back if it was a straight swap.
Old 26-09-2013, 09:20 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Go for the new iphone and upload all your music to the cloud, Ł25 a year and you can stream to any of your devices.

As much as I dont like being 'tied' to Apple no other product works as well for me (my lifestyle)
Old 26-09-2013, 09:21 AM
fezzielove
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both a iphone 5 and a s4, went from being a apple fan until I got my hands on the s4, my main reasons for preferring the s4 are the fact the os is opensource and updated nightly, opensource means the os code is open and available to the public to read/write as they feel fit making custom os available (roms), also the fact about using your phone as a mobile harddrive that's exactly what I do plug the phone into pc and a chunk of my sd storage is available as mass storage same as a usb flash, not to mention all the other features on the s4 that may or may not be useful, eg the magnometer used to alert the phone when a phone case covers the screen the nature of android os being open source allows developers to use this hardware as they feel fit (for example a metal detector) useless I know but you would never see apple allowing anyone to view edit there source code let alone use the phones hardware
Old 26-09-2013, 10:46 AM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BM08
I would go to a shop and have a play, however I wouldn't get a "mini" version if your wanting a good spec phone, there good still of course but lack one or two features that a normal HTC ONE or S4 would have. And I think you mean iphone 5S? The 6 would be next year.

Either of those 3 would have the ability to tether.

If going for the iphone make sure it's the lastest 5S, the 5 did not support all 4G/LTE bands, only a few were supported, but with the 5S there's more bands supported.

Depends what you mean by using as a portable HD? You can put pictures/vids/music on, if you mean like plugging it in via USB and dragging/dropping files then it's not quite as easy as that.

You can on Android
Old 26-09-2013, 01:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you are used to the s2 then get an s4, you can move your music over in some way shape or form by using some sort of magic too

as good as the iphone is, it's just too small now, although it does everything else as good as, if not better, than the s4

if i were offered a straight swap to a 5s i'd do it in a heartbeat
Old 26-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Now then Greg havent seen you on here for a while.

Have you still got the cossie.

Ive got a S4 and its a good phone.
Old 26-09-2013, 04:59 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_rs
You can on Android
Lol I know that, I was talking about if he was to go the Apple route
Old 26-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

The problem is, Apple's iOS is probably more "plugged" in to everything than any other platform. It's pretty much the number one mobile operating platform, and then when you add in the iCloud stuff, and integration with so much other stuff; from Apple products like computers and AppleTV, to other brands that do AirPlay, AirTunes, and iPod/iPhone specific connectivity, it is the clear choice.

The downside is that the new iOS 7 is fucking awful (and I'm a big Apple fan, but I think this new iOS is fucking terrible; not just looks but functionality too) and the fact the OS is a locked down system (without jailbreaking, there's very little you can do outside of what Apple want you to do) that I understand why it is off-putting to some people. And I used to be one of those people (the locked down part). However, I got over it, and embraced it for what it is and what it lets me do with my other products/devices.

But iOS7 is still fucking gash
Old 26-09-2013, 06:38 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Android sucks.

That is all (awaits loads of guff from fandroid's)
Old 26-09-2013, 06:42 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh and regarding what thrush said about being locked down, I felt that way too. It's only when you jailbreak an iPhone you really understand why apple do things the way they do. I jailbroke mine and creamed my pants for 5 mins bu quickly realised all the crap slows things down and stops things working properly (just like android all the time basically)

I had more crashes in two weeks of HTC ownership recently than all my years of iPhone ownership (since they launched) android makes no intuitive sense either. It's bang your head on the wall frustrating to someone like me that just wants something to be where it should or work like it should. Then you've got the fact that android is only available on phones that feel like they came free on the front of a kids magazine.
Old 26-09-2013, 07:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

and don't forget, if you plug your iphone into most usb type things it will play your music and podcasts, if you do the same thing with android it tells you the computer doesn't have a suitable system to work with and does nothing
Old 27-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an iPhone for work and a S4 Mini as my own. Mini is the same size as the iPhone only lighter so no idea why you wouldnt want a mini, features are the same just a slightly faster processor in the S4 (sales guy in CPW advised).

As usual, horses for courses. Both do me fine.
Old 27-09-2013, 04:36 PM
kevin lancelott
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know when someone has the new iphone.Dont worry they will let you know.S4 for me.
Old 27-09-2013, 09:44 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice. Still not sure of which phone to get. Never would of considered Iphone before but my macbook is that good, got me thinking about the phones. Tbh I love the size of I phone but really want the performance of the S4. 2 years is a long time to be stuck with a phone you dint like......
Old 27-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my s3 has never had any issues, it works, it makes calls.. I don't need I tunes. I put music on it easily.

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Android sucks.

That is all (awaits loads of guff from fandroid's)
ios 7 yeah so you go ahead and slate android all you want ..

best bet is to go into a 3 shop and play with all of them. I went into a couple of fone shops recently and it was silly the having to keep putting one back, get another one out .. how can you compare. 3 have it right with the ability to play with all of them at once.
would not go for a mini version as its a slower processor, and if your looking at keeping a fone for 2 years then I would want the big version
Ifone connectivity is easy though. if you have everything mac it kinda makes sence to get one.

only you can decide on what you need from a fone, no matter what we all tell you ..
Old 27-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an Iphone 5 with IOS7 and it works great.

I really, really hate itunes though

Utter, utter shite

How much easier would it be to just drag and drop what I want onto the damn 'phone rather than use the overblown crap that apple force you to use!
Old 27-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

i would go android. Nice and easy. I got an HTC desire X. Werks perfectly.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
bigryrs
RSHoleinator

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Use both i have my uk sim in my s4 and my russian sim in my iphone 4 for work! Iplay around with both in russia and the s4 for back home!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Mark V8
I have an Iphone 5 with IOS7 and it works great.

I really, really hate itunes though

Utter, utter shite

How much easier would it be to just drag and drop what I want onto the damn 'phone rather than use the overblown crap that apple force you to use!
Well, for me, and many millions of people like me, it would be harder. Since all my music is in iTunes already, all I need to do to get music on my iPhone is press the sync button. That's it.

But if it was drag n drop, windows based, I'd need to first plug the phone in, then click off that annoying crap pop up that always comes up asking what I'd like to do, then I'd need to open my music folder, navigate to each individual artists > album > song, collate all those mp3 files, then drag them all over to the phone icon and drop them there (or into an open window for the phone)

Hmm, all that - or just press sync (without even plugging it in). Hmm......
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Well, for me, and many millions of people like me, it would be harder. Since all my music is in iTunes already, all I need to do to get music on my iPhone is press the sync button. That's it.

But if it was drag n drop, windows based, I'd need to first plug the phone in, then click off that annoying crap pop up that always comes up asking what I'd like to do, then I'd need to open my music folder, navigate to each individual artists > album > song, collate all those mp3 files, then drag them all over to the phone icon and drop them there (or into an open window for the phone)

Hmm, all that - or just press sync (without even plugging it in). Hmm......
ive got a windows based phone and all i have to do is also press sync although i admit i do plug a usb between my phone and pc .
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

So what application do you use for syncing? (btw, when I said "windows based" I didn't mean Windows the Microsoft operating system. I meant windows, as in the boxes you open to view files on computers and storage devices. In MacOS they're called Finder windows, in Windows (Microsoft) they're called Explorer windows. But they're all windows, regardless of platform. So I windows based drag'n'drop as in what you'd do with an external harddrive or flash drive)

BTW, those that complain about iTunes - you don't HAVE to use it. There's loads of iTunes alternatives out there. Just google! Christ, there's even one that lets you sync an iPod or iPhone with Windows Media Player!

Last edited by Thrush; 02-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

ok, got you now. i thought you meant the microsoft windows.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

So what application is it you use to sync?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

zune on windows 8 for syncing all my photos , music, videos etc between my phone and my pc.

Last edited by fuzzy; 02-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

So pretty much the same as iTunes for an apple device then?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

probably. i dont think theres much between different phones really. they all seem to have pretty much the same stuff/apps but with their own brand name for it.its just the layout that you get used to that suits you best.
for the limited uses mine serves the lumia 800-920's on windows 7 and 8 ive had have been very good in regards to maps, sat nav, music, camera and video and various gimmicky apps. no doubt theres many other great applications im yet to discover.

Last edited by fuzzy; 02-10-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I just don't get why Microsoft never built the full capability into WMP since that's their flagship music library/player (like iTunes). I used to use a plugin for WMP10 that allowed full syncing with an iPod back in the XP days - worked perfectly. Apart from sometimes it'd eat the album art
Old 18-10-2013, 06:15 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Oh and regarding what thrush said about being locked down, I felt that way too. It's only when you jailbreak an iPhone you really understand why apple do things the way they do. I jailbroke mine and creamed my pants for 5 mins bu quickly realised all the crap slows things down and stops things working properly (just like android all the time basically)

I had more crashes in two weeks of HTC ownership recently than all my years of iPhone ownership (since they launched) android makes no intuitive sense either. It's bang your head on the wall frustrating to someone like me that just wants something to be where it should or work like it should. Then you've got the fact that android is only available on phones that feel like they came free on the front of a kids magazine.
Don't know what you mean, my ancient HTC One X is faster than my sisters iPhone 5s

Are you fucking kidding me? The HTC One is just quality through and through and I would personally say is the most expensive looking phone in the world.