Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Intergrating gmail into Windows (XP) as default mail program...

Search this Thread

Old 15-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Intergrating gmail into Windows (XP) as default mail program...

Right, I use Gmail - A LOT

And I want to use it more, and these two following things I would like to be able to change, if I can.

When in a webpage you see a picture you think "I'll email that to someone" you can right click on it and select EMAIL PICTURE. Problem is, this takes you to Windows Live Hotmail - I don't want it to. I want it to take me to gmail.

Next, if you have a file, picture, document, etc saved on your computer, you can right click and select SEND TO > MAIL RECIPIENT. Again, this takes you to Windows Live Hotmail. I don't want it to. I want it to take me to gmail.

Now, I've set up my Outlook Express to receive and forward any emails to and from my gmail account. But this is very slow and it's tedious having it download hundreds of emails whenever I log back into it. Also, it doesn't sync with sent messages, only recieved. So this is no good.

What I want is a way to intergrate gmail as the default mail client in Windows XP so when I right click something, it opens a web page (IE) and opens gmail - much like it does when it opens Windows Live Mail, but I want it to open gmail instead...

Idea's?
Old 15-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you download something called GMail Notifier there is an option within there to set GMail as the default e-mail program.

Is that any help to you?
Old 15-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Or.... If your feeling really crazy I found a registry hack

Note: This hack involves editing your Windows registry which could cause serious problems if your not sure of what you are doing. To be on the safe side you should create a System Restore point before attempting.
Copy and paste the code below into a notepad (or any text editor):

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail] @=”Google GMail”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open] @=”Google GMail”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open\command] @=”rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler http://www.gmail.com”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\DefaultIcon] @=”C:\\WINDOWS\\gmail.ico”
Save the file as “anytext.reg” using the filename of your choice in place of “anytext”. Now navigate to the file you just created. Double click on it or Right Click and than click on merge.
Now click on an empty part of your taskbar and click on Properties. Click on the “Customize” button under the Start Menu Tab. Where it says “Show on Start Menu” go to the Email: check this box and make sure it is ticked. Next in the Email drop down box open the drop box and click on Google GMail. Click OK. Click Apply Changes (or OK) in the remaining window and VOILA!

Then you need to also do this:

Change your e-mail program to "Google GMail" in control panel - to make IE use Gmail - go to control panel, click on Network and Internet Connections, then Internet Options, then the Programs tab and change email to Google Gmail. and for the Start Menu - go to control panel, Appearance and Themes, Taskbar and Start Menu, click on the Start Menu tab, and then the Customize... button and change the E-mail section to Google Gmail. These values are also stored in the registry but not too sure where, far easier to just modify them through control panel.

At your own risk though
Old 15-09-2008, 06:32 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
If you download something called GMail Notifier there is an option within there to set GMail as the default e-mail program.

Is that any help to you?
Go for this option it is the safest
or download gtalk (GMail Notifier + google talk)
Old 15-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by NoGutsNoGlory
Go for this option it is the safest
or download gtalk (GMail Notifier + google talk)
Chicken!!
Old 15-09-2008, 06:43 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Chicken!!
I only edit the registry if it's a matter of life or death
so yes i'm a chicken when coming to edit the registry
Old 15-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Had gmail notifier for years, and it does work, but only for mailto: links - not for shell intergration when using the Windows "Email This File" etc that I outlined in my initial post...

I'd be nice if Google updated it to do just that, and I belive it does the above on Mac OS X, but so far not on windows...

Closest I have found is gAttach, which kinda works, but not entirely how I'd like it to....

As for reg hacks, bollocks to that! Killed the PC doing that once, never again
Old 15-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I might try the reg hack on the laptop, see how it goes. Cos at least if that gets fucked it's not a problem
Old 15-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Nope, no work..... Followed the reg hack outlined in the above post and created the reg file, merged it, said it worked, did the taskbar thing and only options for email are Outlook and Hotmail, same in Internet options - no mention of Google Gmail