Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Can you change the Windows (XP) "Welcome" screen?

Search this Thread

Old 15-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Can you change the Windows (XP) "Welcome" screen?

When you turn on the computer you usually get your manufacturer bios page, then the Win XP start up/boot up page, then your "Welcome" page;

Can you change this page to something else? I don't have any accounts to log into, no other user's need to log in, it just shows the above blue welcome screen then goes directly to the desktop and loads the start up apps....

Can I change this to a different image?
Old 15-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you want to do?

http://www.windows-help-central.com/...me-screen.html
Old 15-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No.... I just want to change the pic so instead of it showing a blue screen with that WELCOME crap splashed across it, I can use my own pic....

I have figured out how to do it, using a program from Stardock called LogonStudio, but fuck me, it ain't a walk in the park! They do two version, an XP one and a Vista one, and surprisingly, the Vista one works a lot better! So much easier to customise, but after half an hour of fucking around with the XP one, I've kinda got it doing what I want it to (tho it no longer says "SAVING YOUR SETTINGS" or "SHUTTING DOWN COMPUTER" like it used to)

Dunno why, but it's just something that's always bugged me - stupid blue welcome screen
Old 15-09-2008, 05:47 PM
89xr2
Brap!

You can change it. There used to be a program to do it. can't remember what it was called though. i caused no end of problems when i started messing around with the boot up screens and stuff with windows. My advice is leave well enough alone.
Old 15-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

^^^
Old 15-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Maybe try this? To remove the welcome screen completely...

Step 1
Open your Control Panel. To do this, locate and click the "Start" button, choose "Settings" from the start menu, and choose "Control Panel" from the pop over menu.

Step 2
Locate the logon settings. To do this, double click the "User accounts" icon. In the user accounts screen, click the link that says "Change the way users log on and off."
Step 33
Turn the Welcome screen on or off, depending on your needs. To turn it off, uncheck the box next to "Use the Welcome screen." This reverts to the classic login prompt, requiring a username to log in. To turn the Welcome screen on, make sure this box is checked. Once you change the settings to your liking, click "Apply Options."
Step 44
Take advantage of additional settings. If you've turned the Welcome screen on, you can go back to the logon options page and check the box next to "Use Fast User Switching." This will allow users to switch access to another user without closing any programs.
Step 55
Use an alternative method, if needed. If you'd like to turn the Welcome screen off without using the classic prompt, you can disable both and set a user to automatically log in. Go to the "Start" menu, choose "Run," type "control userpasswords" and click "OK." Highlight the username you'd like to have automatically logged in, uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer." Click "Apply," enter the username and password for the account and click "OK."
Step 66
Restart your computer. The changed settings have been applied, but won't come into play until you've restarted your computer.
Old 15-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Umm, that has nothing to do with changing the PICTURE on the WELCOME screen!

This happened last time I asked this - everyone and his dog told me how to turn it on an off : which I already know how to do!

I was asking how to hack the registry to change the PICTURE - I want the welcome screen, I just don't want that picture!!!!
Old 15-09-2008, 06:17 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

try this http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/ you can tune xp with it.

You can even make it look like sh't by making it look like a mac :P
Old 15-09-2008, 06:17 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stop moaning and leave it on, if it annoys you that much, you can afford the electric to leave it on

It has answered one of my questions though so nice one
Old 15-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Twat

It's not for my PC - it's for my lappy! PC is very rarely ever turned off, it just goes to sleep when I don't use it, then S3/4 hibernation if I really don't use it....
Old 16-09-2008, 08:24 PM
M4tty
PassionFord Regular

you can change it as someone said theres a website that has loads you can change toolbars everything, i had the an old apple loading screen once lol, but changed it all back now
Old 16-09-2008, 08:29 PM
M4tty
PassionFord Regular

http://www.nwarwick.co.uk/Windows.html

Can I change the Windows XP start up / splash screen?

Yes, in Windows XP it is possible to change your splash screen, but there are a couple of limitations that you need to be aware of:
  1. Your picture must be a 640 x 480 pixel bitmap (.bmp) file.
  2. The picture file is limited to 16 colours.
Before you start this procedure we strongly recommend that you create a System Restore Point, as you will be editing a Windows boot file later on in this procedure that could cause your system not to boot correctly - Having the restore point will allow you to go back in time to before you made the changes should anything go wrong. (Click Here to see how to manually create a restore point.)
To make the changes use the folowing procedure.
  • Create your 640 x 480 pixel bitmap file, and ensure you set the colour depth to 16 colours - Any competent paint package such as Paintshop Pro will suffice.
  • Save the bitmap in the Windows directory with the file name boot.bmp
  • Now we need to edit the 'boot.ini' file to enable your new loading screen, so right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'
  • Click the 'Advanced' tab and select the 'Settings' button from the 'Startup and recovery' section.
  • Make a note of the entry in the 'Default Operating System' dialog, and hit the button marked 'Edit'
  • The 'boot.ini' file will now load up in notepad (or your default text editor), locate the line with your default OS in, it will look something like: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn where the text after WINDOWS= is your default operating system.
  • At the end of this line add the following extra code /bootlogo /noguiboot
  • Save the file and exit Notepad.
When you next re-boot you will see your splash screen (without the Windows progress bar). If you have any difficulties when you re-boot, you can always boot into 'Safe Mode' and either apply your system restore point to the one you created before you started this modification, or edit the 'boot.ini' file to remove your changes.

EDIT: found this think this is the one: http://www.tweaks.com/
Old 16-09-2008, 08:38 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Style XP does it with files from www.themexp.org however I think that when you download a file from there now it's rigged with spyware
Old 16-09-2008, 09:21 PM
All4it
Advanced PassionFord User

http://www.xpthemes.com/skins.asp?library=32
Old 16-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

M4tty - thats the XP boot screen as seen here;

Not the blue "Welcome" screen, that can either be used with or without user logon as seen here;

It's the latter I wanted to change, and I've managed to do it using this;

http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/

Shame the Vista version is a lot more user friendly/easy than the XP counterpart, but I've still done it anyway.....

All4it - your link is for BOOT SKINS aswell, not the WELCOME screen...
Old 17-09-2008, 04:55 AM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Have you missed my link ?

This is teh appliaction u need

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Altough it says vista you can install the 2007 version which is for xp

Old 17-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Sorry, yeah I missed that. Will give that a look - might be an easier/more user friendly way than the more manual way I did with LogonStudio....