Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Graphics card to allow twin output?

Search this Thread

Old 19-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Graphics card to allow twin output?

Right, here's my deal;

I have a PC with stock on board gfx - I don't need fancy 8800GT gfx cards etc as I don't game. My rig is purely for net surfing and media usage.

I have two TFT screens - 1 is hooked up to the PC, the other is hooked up to a Freeview box, so I can sit on PC and fuck around and watch TV on the other.

Now, what I would like is the ability to connect the second screen from the PC aswell.

What I want I tho is the ability to continue using screen 1 as a single desktop, and use screen two to open a video file in full screen - I don't really want or need a split screen desktop stretched over two screens. This is so I can have my desktop as normal on screen 1 and a video playing from the PC in full screen on screen 2. Obviously I need to be able to use the mouse on screen 2 to control video playback (stop, play, pause, skip etc)

Lastly, I need a device to allow two VGA inputs to be plugged into one monitor (so I don't have to unplug the Freeview box to plug in the PC to watch a video)

What do I need guys?

Old 19-02-2008, 11:15 AM
stuey650
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well exactly wots in your diagram, to allow you to connect the two monitors to one PC invest in a suitable dual head graphics card. Nothing fancy as you've send its not for games anyway. You couldn't use a splitter here because this would give you the same display on both screen so you'll def need dual head so you can have something different on each.

Has monitor 2 got two inputs (some have a VGA connection and a DVI) so you could connect the PC to the DVI and the freeview box via the VGA. If it doesn't then you'll need to get a vga splitter, sure maplins or somewhere would sell something suitable.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:21 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have this very setup on my work pc using a DVI splitter cable and a single output ati 1300 card. The computer runs windows 2000 and on the left screen (screen 1) I can have normal operation and on the right screen (screen 2) I can display what I want.

You will still set your screen to; extend my windows desktop onto screen two, but it "does" not combine the two screens into displaying 1 massive image. Each screen works independant of the other.

If I open a window on screen 1 and click the fit to screen option it will fit to screen 1, I then open another window anddrag it onto the second screen and click fit to screen and it fills screen 2.

I this is what you want to do then I would recommend a PCI express ati 2600 if you want HD playback.
Old 19-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thanks guys - don't think I have a PCI-e slot in my machine tho. Sadly the monitors only have single input (1x VGA each) hence wanting a switch for one of the monitors to allow use of either the PC or the FV box on it....

It's only really so I can have video playback on the 2nd monitor from the PC for times when I am not watching Freeview, and also for times when not watching anything I can have windows open in both screens (that I would want to be able to drag from one screen to another with the mouse, but keeping the 1280x1024 5:4 res on screen one, not stretching it over two screens.....

Any reccomendations on cards for this? Would this do it?

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...FMDHA32DB.html

Get em for a tenner on ebay.....
Old 19-02-2008, 07:16 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your diagrams
Old 19-02-2008, 08:42 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That card in your link will support what I listed above, but why dont you just buy a cheap VGA splitter cable and try the method I mentioned above. The problem you are going to have is that your monitor supports only one input method.

Why not buy a digital freeview dongle for your pc? I have one in my computer and its ok as long as I use a proper aerial. I bought a hauppage nova-t USB 2 version for £20.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:51 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

get urself a dual vga/dvi gpu, get urself a tv card bin the digi box. job done
Old 19-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Tony - in your first post ou mention two different cards, and with the single output 1300 with the splitter cable, I pressume it's card software and features that allow desktop on one screen and anything else on the other. I doubt my built in mobo head gfx will support this - so a VGA splitter cable from my single output will probably only result in two screens showing the same thing...

As for a freeview card for the PC, I deliberately went the route I have with a standalone box cos I want it to be independant of the PC.
Old 19-02-2008, 09:39 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thrush, my work pc has an ATI 1300 fitted which only has a single DVI output fitted to it so we use the splitter cable to turn one DVI socket into two VGA sockets. I watch SKY Sports news most afternoons on one screen while working on the other

The other card I mentioned is just a better spec card, the main difference apart from having two outputs is it has an internal HD decoding chip which takes the strain of the CPU. I know you are into this sort of stuff so I thought it may be a better option.

If you could get a 2nd monitor with a dual input, say DVI and VGA or even component then you could connect your freeview this way.
Old 19-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Tony - I understand that, but the ATI 1300 must have software/drivers to do what yours does, as when I have seen PC's running stock on board gfx like mine has, with a splitter cable, it's just two versions of the same screen (ie, one on the monitor and the other showing the same thing on a projector, or LCD/plasma screen) I doubt my onboard GFX has the capabilities to do what yours does, so I would need to get this 1300 card to do it I should think.

My PC spec isn't really good enough to playback HD content anyway, so not too fussed about it to be honest, and I realise I'd need a switch to connect both the 2nd VGA output AND the FV box to monitor number 2.

At some point I would like to get one of the older Dell 20" widescreen monitors that have both VGA, DVI and analogue inputs (s-vid and composite) so with that monitor it wouldn't be a problem and the switch would need to be redundant then.

Now, I guess I would need a card like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PNY-VCQ4200NVS...QQcmdZViewItem

to achieve the "different-screen-output" using a splitter cable, as opposed to just this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SPLITTER-C...QQcmdZViewItem

That states on it "same picture on both screens"