Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Low oil pressure after oil top up!?!?!

Old 09-05-2005, 06:52 PM
chorton
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure after oil top up!?!?!

nice sunny weekend, so I decided to fit the bailey breather system I had lying around to my S2 turbo. Checked the oil, noticed it was a little low, so drove to halfords, topped it up with about 1/2 litre of mobil one( No idea what oil was in it already). Went to start the engine (hot) and it refused to start. Got it started with a bump start and drove home and now it wont start from hot .

Just noticed tonight that the oil pressure light is on at idle, but goes out when revved slightly, comes back on at idle.

The top end has started to get noisy at the same tame.

My question is this: Is it more likely that the mobil one is too thin for my engine, or could this in any way be caused by fitting the bailey breather system. (checked and double checked all my breather pipes, all connections are good)

Any advice would be really appreciated, Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

drain all the oil out and change your filter and refill with some better oil b4 you do some permanent damage
Old 09-05-2005, 07:47 PM
chorton
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Thats what I was planning to do next weekend,and thats why I bought the Mobil 1,
I thought it was the best oil I could put in it, have used it in all my previous RS's. Thing is I'm not so sure about using the mobil one now, and maybe going for something slightly thicker, it all seemed fine until I topped up the oil, OR until I fitted the breather system, that is what I'm really trying to establish!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chorton
Thats what I was planning to do next weekend,and thats why I bought the Mobil 1,
I thought it was the best oil I could put in it, have used it in all my previous RS's. Thing is I'm not so sure about using the mobil one now, and maybe going for something slightly thicker, it all seemed fine until I topped up the oil, OR until I fitted the breather system, that is what I'm really trying to establish!

CANT see it being the oil breather m8,so the oil is @ FAULT!

ps in the Mobil's defence there was a bad batch doing the rounds a few months back if that helps I only use Valvoline oil myself. hope you get it sorted with the least amount of ££££'s and DONT keep running it just change the oil asap!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Aragorn-
Virgin

u cant just go stick any old grade of oil in there even if it cost £40 a gallon

it needs to be the right viscosity for the engine (like the newer zetecs need 5w30)

u may find its too thin when its warm so the lifters arent pressurising properly and hence it not starting, however this could be a sign of a worn oil pump and the thinner oil is showing up the problems a bit more than thicker oil would

and i tend to use whatever the motorfactor has in, its been comma stuff the past few times, and i change it every 3000miles or there abouts, i recon 3000mile changes with "normal" oil is better than running some expensive crap for 2 or 3 times as long and at eh end of the day they all have the same API and ACEA ratings anyway so difference is negligable
Old 11-05-2005, 10:19 PM
esccossie666
Regular Contributor

might be worth taking off the sump and checking the oil pick up
ive known them to block they get a build up of carbon