Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Any Ford Techs in, can you help-Battery drain problem

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2014, 07:37 PM
FORD RS MAD
Ford model mad

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any Ford Techs in, can you help-Battery drain problem

Any Ford techs who could please offer any help. I have a 64 plate Fiesta ST2 which I have only owned a month & it's had four self battery drains, its in my local dealer & been there 2 weeks, All I'm getting told is 'Fords' don't have a 'fix' for it & until they do it's sat in their compound. Below is how it's all been happening.

I collected the car on Weds 1st Oct, the sales person helped me set the Ford Sync connecting my phone to the car ( I made one call that day ) I connected phone via blue tooth on the 2/10 - 3/10 - 7/10 - 8/10 - 9/10 - 10/10 ( twice on each day )

Battery drain one

On Sun 12th Oct I went to use the car & could not open by pressing key fob ( spare was the same ) I opened car manually & on opening door no lights came on, the car had stood for approx 48 hours. Called the breakdown people, battery showed 3 volts, car started with booster pack, guy checked boot light etc to see if any signs of being on, all fine.

Car ran fine after this, connected phone via blue tooth on the 13/10 - 14/10 - 15/10 - 16/10 twice a day, radio used each day.

Battery drain two

On leaving work on Thurs 16th Oct, car had stood for approx 11 hours, car opened with key fob, lights etc on as normal. Car wouldn't start, breakdown people out, battery showed 5 volts, car started with booster pack ( made one call with phone connected to car on way home )

Car ran fine after this second drain & first went in to dealer on Thursday 23rd Oct just for the day ( I had no phone calls through out the day from dealer ) car continued to run fine, phone connected via blue tooth on the 23/10 on leaving dealer, and on the 24/10. Car was not used over that weekend of 25 & 26th Oct.

Car was fine & phone connected via blue tooth on the 27/10 - 28/10 - 29/10 - 30/10 - 31/10 ( twice on each day )

Battery drain three

On Sat 1st Nov went to use car, car opened with key fob lights came on as normal but car wouldn't start ( car had stood for approx 15 hours ) called Ford Assist, AA out battery showed 10 volts, booster pack used to start, guy asked me to wrap the key fob in tin foil & bring out to car, he used a device clipped to Neg black battery cable & said there was a drain showing.
I used the car on three or four occasions on the Saturday all fine ( phone was not connected to car / when message came up on radio display 'no device found' I cancelled, this I did at least six times.
On Sunday 2nd Nov I used car twice, the second being approx a 50 mile round trip, phone was connected via blue tooth ( one call received & one call made/radio used )

Battery drain four

On Monday 3rd Nov, car stood approx 17 hours, on leaving home for work the key fob opened car but I noticed the interior lights looked dim, car failed to start. Called Ford Assist, AA out battery showed 3 volts, booster pack didn't start so patrol van used, I went to dealer at 8am to arrange to go back in, I drove the 18 miles to work ( did not connect phone to car ) car stood for approx 9/10 hours, drove to dealer & has been with them since. The radio has been used on at least every weekday of using the car, cd used approx 3 times, I had read approx 6 text messages on display screen, all texts were deleted.
Also for about the first 2 weeks of having the car it came up 'Emergency assistance turned off' I read handbook & set to 'on'

I have made/received about 6 to 8 calls and each time the radio was on

One thing I noticed on the Mon 3rd Nov which I had not noticed before, after the AA guy got it started the phone 'battery' & 'signal bars' symbols displayed on the radio screen, radio was off.

Phone always connected via blue tooth and always after car has been started / phone disconnected before car is turned off with a message and voice message 'device switched off'
When car has opened with lights showing as normal, I mean that the-

Day time running lights in head lamps have come on, all interior lights on ( roof-foot wells-ambient lights-dash cluster lights )
The second & third drains I first pressed the 'start button' press clutch pedal down then press 'start button' to start, on doing this there was a clicking sound & lights briefly flickerd.

Any help would be great, many thanks

Old 16-11-2014, 07:52 PM
andi-p
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an alternator smart charge diode pack drain battery. Only found the fault as the short circuit inside created heat and the digital thermometer was used around the components and found it to be HOT. Battery charged and battery would be drained down with in a few hours.
Old 16-11-2014, 07:57 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

If it's draining over time some thing is pulling current! You need to put an Amp clamp on it and see what the drain is. Even a small drain can kill a battery over many hours! If there is a drain over what one that dose not kill the battery's you need to pull fuses to find what circuit is at fault
Old 16-11-2014, 08:01 PM
FORD RS MAD
Ford model mad

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Car is in with dealer so unable to get to, one thing I have heard is the blue tooth module keeps searching for the phone causing drain.
Old 16-11-2014, 08:03 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

If they can't find a battery drain I'd pull it out of there lol
Old 30-11-2014, 07:05 PM
SionST
Virgin

Have they sorted it now, mine has exactly the same problem and my dealer doesmt
Know whats draining it...��
Old 30-11-2014, 07:35 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Makes me wonder what these garages do lol I've come across this a few times at work! Last time it was a bin loader relay causing the fault. Every system runs through a fuse or relay in some way. If you put an amp clamp around the battery negative you can see what load is being pulled from the battery's. If you then say put the lights on your see that load go up! Any thing over 1/2 an amp to an amp is a problem. If you can see a drain on the meter pull each fuse / relay till it go's. Then investigate every thing on that circuit

Trending Topics

Old 30-11-2014, 08:20 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Makes me wonder what these garages do lol

If it's a main dealer, then plug it into computer, wait for the no fault found screen, then fuck it back to the customer, then repeat process until warranty runs out!
Old 30-11-2014, 08:24 PM
danrst77
danman

Might not be the same thing, but my gf's fezza zetec s had batt drain too,
Turned out the electric fan was staying on too long
When leaving the car, hence draining the batt,
I had to climb through the boot to pie the doors as key wouldn't open the doors
By remote, also the damn thing is de locked, which is why I had to go
Through the boot lol

Anyway changed the fan relay, had been ok for a few months now recently
Done it Friday just gone ��