Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Spray painting over Chrome Rims

Search this Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 06:13 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray painting over Chrome Rims

My wheels are starting to look a bit tired so I am thinking of re painting them.
I am pretty good with a spray can but have never tried painting over Chrome, my wheels look a lot like these, I will be re spraying the spokes black and the rim which is Chrome in white. Any of you had any experience spraying Chrome???? any tips/help I would appreciate. thanks
Old 21-09-2011, 07:04 PM
john v
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure its chrome and not mirror polished alloy,if its alloy then just key the rim with some 180 grit and etch primer it,if its chrome then its much more involved and will need to be more agressively rubbed down with at least 80 grit as its a much more harder material then you need to prime with a good qaulity very high build primer to fill the scratches but it will be prone to chipping around the edge,ive painted lots of chrome before using this method and been succesful but not done wheels before,just be aware that unless you have the rims acid dipped or sand blasted back to bare metal its not going to be very permanent,hope this helps,
Old 21-09-2011, 07:17 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by john v
are you sure its chrome and not mirror polished alloy,if its alloy then just key the rim with some 180 grit and etch primer it,if its chrome then its much more involved and will need to be more agressively rubbed down with at least 80 grit as its a much more harder material then you need to prime with a good qaulity very high build primer to fill the scratches but it will be prone to chipping around the edge,ive painted lots of chrome before using this method and been succesful but not done wheels before,just be aware that unless you have the rims acid dipped or sand blasted back to bare metal its not going to be very permanent,hope this helps,
thanks mate.. I think its Chrome as its pealing off.. just wondering if I should try an get as much of it off as i can?
Old 21-09-2011, 07:49 PM
john v

yeah get rid of all the lifted chrome first then rub down as much as you can,its a very time consuming process but the more its done the better it will be also the coarser the paper the deeper the scratches which will result in a better chance for the primer to adhere to,i would suggest a high build 2k primer as anything you can get in an aerosol wont fill the scratches.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:54 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they come apart maybe get the blasted
or blast the complete rim
Old 21-09-2011, 08:16 PM
john v

if you do get them blasted its probably best to just get the outer rim done cause the high pressure might damage the edges of the spokes as they look quite thin.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:43 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

yeah get rid of all the lifted chrome first then rub down as much as you can,its a very time consuming process but the more its done the better it will be also the coarser the paper the deeper the scratches which will result in a better chance for the primer to adhere to,i would suggest a high build 2k primer as anything you can get in an aerosol wont fill the scratches.
Thanks alot mate appreciate it..
Old 21-09-2011, 08:55 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by 1.9 xr2 on 40's
if they come apart maybe get the blasted
or blast the complete rim
Thanks mate
Old 21-09-2011, 09:32 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

finaly found a picture of my wheels thinking black for the spokes and white for the rim and DOTZ on the spoke?

Old 25-09-2011, 10:00 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

1 wheel done
Old 26-09-2011, 05:28 PM
john v

looks good mate,are you pleased with how it came out?
Old 27-09-2011, 11:14 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

looks good mate,are you pleased with how it came out?
Thanks mate. the first one I thought looked good but there was a couple of little bits that lifted , so the second one I just finished looks mint I took the time to prepare it properly (back to bare metal, with sand paper) took me all day to prep lol..
Ill do the same on the other two and depending how fed up I am I might do the first one again, but not that It "needs" doing it still looks sweet im just picky lol