Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

cosworth engine help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
rs tingle
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cosworth engine help

hi there peeps got a few questions about me 205 block cosworth engine i dint now what the engine had in store as i brought the engine so i got it on my engine stand and had alook it looks like its had a gudish rebuild .i took the sump of an looked at the bearing and pistons the pistons had plus 25 on the underside of the piston the bearings had plus 25 too is . i was wondering if there a plus 25 arnt they close to there tolerences an be quite week also the the bearings looked new but some wear in places i think an it looked if there were some score marks on the crand i dont no if im being pick or what but theres a new oil pump new thrust washers on it too .im just worrid that ill put the engine in me 3dr and it go bang an i have to spend more money on it or shall i go down the safe route and get a 200 block an an rebuild from there any comments welcome thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
rs tingle

can anyone help me please lol
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
snapper
Virgin

I am new to this forum but not new to Fords, infact i have 3 Pintos for my 7 replica kit car, Today i brought home from the engineers a 2.1 205 block with Cosworth rods and V6 pistons.
My thinking was one engine in so i can still use the car and one being built.
The last 2.1 had suffered some bore wash and also had some wear on the mains but no problem with the crank journals. So that will be rebuilt next.

If you have anything less than smooth polished main and big end bearings then the crank should be reground under size and oversized bearing put in.
If you can feel scoring with your finger then it needs a regrind.
Sometimes if there is just some marks showing on the crank it can be polished out but you will still need new bearings.

The 200 block is very strong and you would expect to see it in a Cossy but a good 205 will be fine for a rebuild upto quite high bhp.
Best of luck with your build.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rs tingle
hi there peeps got a few questions about me 205 block cosworth engine i dint now what the engine had in store as i brought the engine so i got it on my engine stand and had alook it looks like its had a gudish rebuild .i took the sump of an looked at the bearing and pistons the pistons had plus 25 on the underside of the piston the bearings had plus 25 too is . i was wondering if there a plus 25 arnt they close to there tolerences an be quite week also the the bearings looked new but some wear in places i think an it looked if there were some score marks on the crand i dont no if im being pick or what but theres a new oil pump new thrust washers on it too .im just worrid that ill put the engine in me 3dr and it go bang an i have to spend more money on it or shall i go down the safe route and get a 200 block an an rebuild from there any comments welcome thanks
.25 on the bores and .25 on the crank isnt too bad. The concern is how bad the marks are on the bores and on the crank.

how much power are you planning to have? if it will be stage 3 (330-380hp) then you should be OK

maybe take the block and crank to a decent machine shop and ask their opinion if you are unsure. you might only need a hone on the bore and a polish on the crank.

if the crank does need a grind to .5 then i would not use it for big power, and the same for the block

Matt
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing you can do is have some one experienced look at the wear, will most likely be nothing, in which case keep the shells in order for re use.
There are plenty of 500+ 205 around, on group a h/g.
tabetha
Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
rs tingle

the bores look fine its the its the little scores on the crand that are worring me
and the bearings already have plus 25 stamped on the bearings is this bad as well as plus 25 stanped on the bottom of the piston
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be fine, stop worrying, unless going mental bhp, like over 450+, I wouldn't worry about sizes, scoring on crank needs looking at as it can lose oil pressure.
tabetha
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
rs tingle

cheers tabetha ya always there to lend a helping hand lol t could be me it might not be scoring it looks like if some one has used wire wool on it a bit jus marks like that im a terrible stresser lol