Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help needed for rough 1.6 xr2 cvh

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
andytheracer
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed for rough 1.6 xr2 cvh

Hi Guys. Looking for some technical assistance. Recently bought an ex-stock hatch XR2 for some track day fun. Last raced in 05 and only done about 300miles since. Was sat for 6 mths before i bought it so as you can imagine not the best start!

Anyway it would start ok and idle once warmed up (in my garage - not road reistered so no way to test further). Wouldn't idle until it had warmed up. This sat i took it to Cadwell park for a track day. Didn't go too well - managed 26miles! Car started to sound really rough. Was ok ish above 3500 rpm but really struggled to run below that. After 26miles wouldn't run at all well, wouldn't tick over or rev.

Thought it could be distributor unit but got anothor and issue was same. Was sparking on all 4 leads (running on 2 cyclinders at times though even with new plugs). have tested Compression, starting at cyl 1 was 10, 12, 12, 12. We were using old fuel mixed with new. Old plugs did seem oily.

I've decided to strip the carb and head down to give them a good clean, change gaskets etc as its been stood so long.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what may have been the problem so that i can take good care to ensure this that area is fully reconditioned.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely transient crap in the carb, dunk the carb in a bucket of thinners overnight, BUT remove any diaphragms first, otherwise the thinners will do this for you!!
On the dizzy front just check the advance retard is ok, not stuck etc.
tabetha
Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 AM
andytheracer
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers - will give this a go. advance/ retard on dizzy is the little diapram right? Whats the best way to check that this is free?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dizzy does have a VACUUM advance/retard which is the little diaphragm, but it's mainly mechanical inside, as the dizzy spins faster bob weights expand outwards and in so doing turn a plate on which the pick up sits in relation to the shaft turning, make sure this is free.
The vac capsule only pulls extra advance under cruising conditions where vacuum is high enough to operate this bit.
tabetha