Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

my RC 4WD rear engined mini project FINISHED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts
Default my RC 4WD rear engined mini project FINISHED!!!

Well well well!!! I've had a mountain bike in this section before, so why not this, i know from my last thread that there are a lot of RC fans on here, so here is my project!!!

I have always been into the M03 mini, i really like their chukability, far more nimbler than a touring car due to their short and narrow wheel base and their light weight. What I didnt like though was due to them being fwd, getting off the line quickly is difficult, and going round corners is understeer heaven! So I thought it is about time i did something about it.

I thought a 4wd ta02 would be a good base, as parts are readily available, and are cheap as chips. So, i bought this from a PF member!

I would now like to apologise for the quality of the next pics, they aree off my phone.

Here is the m03 chassis mini that i will be using as a donor for all the suspension components, and other bits i may need along the way.

I firstly needed a chassis. With a bit of careful measuring of the 4wd chassis I marked up and cut out a new chassis from aluminium. This is shorter than the original, to account for the shorter wheel base.

Here's the careful calculations I needed to do!

After the chassis was filed down and made good, I started on mounting the front and rear gearboxes.

After these were fitted, The mini suspension went on. This proved to be a complete ball ache at the front, because the mini lower arms were a lot longer than the front gearbox could cope with, so they needed modifying to fit, and a few spacers here and there.

The rear suspension went on easy enough.

I needed to make up a custom mount to fit the front suspension top arms. The orignial ones wouldnt work due to the amount of butchering that needed to take place to get the lower arms on, it meant that the mounting holes were way out.

After a few mock ups, this is the design of the mount i chose. It needed to be small enough to fit around the suspension components, but big enough to keep some strength at the front end.

Next, the steering. I thought about using the original 4wd steering system, but due to the limited space, and the amount of space the 4wd servo and linkage system required, it just wasn't feasable. I needed to make up a bracket to raise the servo, so the mini steering system would fit around the 4wd gear box.

Then, a top plate was made up to give the chassis a bit of strength, and so I had somewhere to mount the receiver/speed control.

And thats it for now! It is now a complete rolling chassis. All it needs are front and rear diffs, all the gears for the gearboxes, and the electrics fitting.

Have got a 10 turn motor that spins at approx 42,000 rpm, so I am expecting this thing to properly shift

Got an angila van shell for it for now, but it will be replaced with a pukka gen mini shell.

Updates when the postman arrives, and I will use a proper camera next time!!

Cheers
Rich
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Already done a similar project myself... just used x2 brushless motors which spin to 77700rpm each should be good for over 100mph when finished..

Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking good mate, sitting on the table nicely

What fookin car?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jameswrx

What fookin car?
PMSL!!! Git, you beat me to it!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by COCHYN
Originally Posted by jameswrx

What fookin car?
PMSL!!! Git, you beat me to it!
I think i actually beat all of you

Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ok, time for an update!

I was a bit unhappy with it to be honest. When the front wheels were turned, the rear inside wheel would lift off the ground. This will cause it to 'diff out' while powering round a corner, thus eventually coming to a complete standstill. This was caused by the angle of the front suspension. You can see how far it leans back in this pic.

To overcome this, i needed to straighten the whole front end up. A lot of head scratching commenced, before I had a brain wave!

As you can see in this pic, the bottom diff cover which also contains the lower arm mounting point is the root of the problem. It needed to be straightened up!

I did think about heating the plastic up, bending it straight etc, but this would be a pretty gash idea. So I just turned it round!

As you can see it fits almost perfectly with a bit of butchering, shall seal the holes up with a bit of sealent

The diff was then refitted, and the suspension went back on. Due to the position of the bracket now, the driveshafts would have been miles out, so the lower arms were chopped about a bit, until they fitted properly

So when the rest of the bits arrive it will be put back together. Just need to make a prop shaft!

Cheers
rich

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

got it all finished now, is awesome fun to drive

made a video too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHgYQE4ZnQ

Rich
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill race ya
Old 11-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Escos Jam
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive project mate !! Looked proper rapid in the video.

Well done