Pictures, video & Photoshop Forum If you want to show off your photoshop skills, share pics and videos of your car or other cars you've found, here's the place to go.

My New Low Mileage E46 M3 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 28-02-2014, 04:51 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Stunning. I am hoping to get an M3 coupe later this year if things pan out at work.
Nice one mate get some pictures up if you do buy one be good to see
Old 17-04-2014, 07:35 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so whilst it was sunny i thought id get the rear wheels off and give the arches a good clean, they came up a treat

Cleaned with bilt hamber surfex hd
tar removed with autosmart tardis
plastics dressed with valet pro long life dressing

heres a few during and afters:

Name:  DSCF3510_zpsed3588bc.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  84.4 KB
Name:  DSCF3504_zpsd6bd3cf7.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  DSCF3505_zps5616c19e.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  65.1 KB
Old 17-04-2014, 08:04 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice ride dude. I use to work for BMW as a panel beater. Do you know e46 m3's have a habit of cracking the rear subframe points on the body, especially smg models. Basically a large section of floor that holds all of the rear suspension in has to be replaced and it's a massive job. I'm sure yours are fine judging by the mileage and condition. But for peace of mind go to a BMW dealer and get them to inject the rear subframe mounting points with their epoxy foam. It hardens like concrete and will stop cracks from forming. They should do it under their body warranty. I've replaced loads of rear floors, especially csl models.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Very clean car Jamie, love it.
Old 18-04-2014, 08:09 AM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
Nice ride dude. I use to work for BMW as a panel beater. Do you know e46 m3's have a habit of cracking the rear subframe points on the body, especially smg models. Basically a large section of floor that holds all of the rear suspension in has to be replaced and it's a massive job. I'm sure yours are fine judging by the mileage and condition. But for peace of mind go to a BMW dealer and get them to inject the rear subframe mounting points with their epoxy foam. It hardens like concrete and will stop cracks from forming. They should do it under their body warranty. I've replaced loads of rear floors, especially csl models.
Hi, yes i have been reading up on this and seems a fairly common problem on all the e46 models more so the m3's if driven hard, the car had a check over underneath at vines and they said it was as new underneath but as you say would be worth getting the resin put in to reinforce the subframe.

Seems every M3 lately on cutters has cracks in the subframe and if it wasnt for this one being such low mileage then i wouldn't touch one that was out of the 10 year good will period unless its already had the subframe replaced, otherwise its around a 2k job isnt it as pretty involved.

Thanks for the heads up though, do you know if Bmw will reinforce the subframe with the foam foc do they have to still drop it down to do this?

Old 18-04-2014, 08:10 AM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Staffi
Very clean car Jamie, love it.
Hi Pete, thanks thats kind of you and hope your well and enjoying your lovely Saff
Old 18-04-2014, 08:14 AM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ram
8k!! fair play bet it still smells new.

I had a carbon black e46 m3 vert. best all rounder I've ever owned!
Just seen your plate on your cossie 'Dam Rs' that made me chuckle, quality plate
Old 18-04-2014, 08:11 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jaiscossie
Hi, yes i have been reading up on this and seems a fairly common problem on all the e46 models more so the m3's if driven hard, the car had a check over underneath at vines and they said it was as new underneath but as you say would be worth getting the resin put in to reinforce the subframe.

Seems every M3 lately on cutters has cracks in the subframe and if it wasnt for this one being such low mileage then i wouldn't touch one that was out of the 10 year good will period unless its already had the subframe replaced, otherwise its around a 2k job isnt it as pretty involved.

Thanks for the heads up though, do you know if Bmw will reinforce the subframe with the foam foc do they have to still drop it down to do this?

No need to take the subframe out. Simple job of removing the boot carpet and drilling a hole above the rear mounting point on both sides and inject the foam. The car then can not be moved for a minium of 24hrs while the foam sets. If you have any problems with the dealer you take it to, try Elms in Cambridge.
Old 18-04-2014, 08:53 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
No need to take the subframe out. Simple job of removing the boot carpet and drilling a hole above the rear mounting point on both sides and inject the foam. The car then can not be moved for a minium of 24hrs while the foam sets. If you have any problems with the dealer you take it to, try Elms in Cambridge.
Cheers pal, I'll get in touch with Elms then as there only just over an hour from me