Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

Bike question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bike question

tomorrow I'm 35 and I feel it's the right time to buy another bike.

I don't have a bike license but I want to start on a GSXR600 but will I be able to? I will have to sell my Sapphire to fund the lessons, leathers, bike etc so I need to make sure that once I pass my test I can ride a 600 but my mate thinks I can't unless it's restricted..

if I can only ride a restricted bike that's it game over, I can't be arsed riding a restricted bike I would rather keep the sapph, has anyone been through this and do they know the cost and what I and can't ride?

Anyone's help would be appreciated, I want a gsxr600 and only that would do, without that I won't bloody bother

Thanks,

Paul
Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate,you need to do what's called "direct access" which basically means the test is a bit harder and you learn on a 500 cc plus machine,but once your successful you can ride anything you like,if you take your test on a 125 your restricted to 33bhp for two years after you passed your test.you say get a bike again so have you already passed some form of test?if not you may have to do your cbt first just to ride on the road but that's easy peasy and won't take more than one lesson.know what u mean about a gsxr,lovely bikes,there was a cracker in the for sale section on here not so long ago?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's the way I thought it was which is why I thought i'd buy a 600 but my mate said I couldn't, what is the cost of the full access these days?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Lowson
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give you a rough guide, i was pretty much bang on 300 quid for my cbt, theory, lessons and test/hire of bike. I only had 3 lessons which kept the price down, worked out a good bit cheaper than doing the 3/4 day course too.

You're over 21 and if you do the direct access you can ride anything. Good shout on the gsxr, that's what i have - cracking bike.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I done my cbt 9 years ago and it's a full day job normally, in the morning it's usually on a school yard or similair round cones that dort of thing.

Then on the afternoon it's out on the road with the instructor and another learner normally.

then that's it, it's not pass/fail. It's only there to show you can follow instruction and can handle the machine.

Then you can learn on the road with an instructor (also at this stage you can ride a 50cc with L plates on)

My instructor took me out on a 250cc for the first 3 lessons then I jumped on the 400cc (which is big enough to pass the direct access)

Then I had 9 lessons and passed test 1st time. Dead simple.....

As long as your safe on the road and can handle the machine you will be fine.

once you've passed you can go out and buy a Hayabusa or R1 if you want but be prepared for silly insurance quotes.

I bought an R6 brand new 2 weeks after passing my test and was very impressed with it. It was far far lighter and much easier to handle than the bike I passed my test on.

I would say go for it, 600cc is more than enough.....

I traded my R6 for an R1 and would say overall I prefered the experience of the R6.....

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM
rsdan2evn
Regular Contributor

You have to do a cbt first which is Ł105
then have to book a theory test and pass that
Aftr your cbt he school will asses you and advise how many lessons they think you need, then when your ready they book you in for a mod 1, which is like a course in a training ground, then if you pass that they book you in on mod 2 which is a 40m ride.

You can take your test on a 125cc bike but your restriced to 33hp for two years, you can have any size bike you want aslong as its gt the restriction, so a gsxr600 could be restriced for ya..
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Direct access - You can ride anything you want.

Costwise, I did mine before the new test come in, I already had my CBT, The theory 2 n half days training and test come to Ł550,
I dont know how or if prices have changed much since.

Trending Topics

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
CraigJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I have just done this. Passed on wednesday.

Book and do your CBT. It will be on a 125 and will cost about Ł100

Then book and do your theory test. Make sure you book a motorcycle one as it different to the car one. About Ł40

Once passed go see an instructor. You can either do a DAS course or just have lessons and spread the cost like i did.

I had 3 hours of lessons for the MOD 1 then took the MOD 1 test and passed. Takes about 10 mins to do.

link to MOD 1 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYsMajnlRY

Then had 4 hours riding on the roads. this wasnt to learn how to ride it was to get me out of bad habbits. you will be surprised at how many shoulder checks, mirror checks life saver checks you have to do, and how easy it is to forget them.

Then went for the MOD 2. this is Ł75 + bike hire so Ł50 on top of that.

All together cost me just under Ł500 and took bout 4 weeks.

CBT is on a 125 then all the lessons and both parts of tests are done a Honda CB500.

If you do your test on the 500 you can ride anything you want when you pass no restrictions at all except insurance.

Pass on a 125 and your stuck with 33bhp for 2 years.

Just a note if you do a 3-4 day course. the MOD1 and MOD2 will be on the same day. if you fail the MOD 1 you can't take the MOD 2 so Ł75 down the shitter.

Also the instructor will have pre-booked tests so they will just put your name to the test no need to book these your self you just pay the instructor.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Do you have the beemer in your siggy too?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

its something ive been wanting to do for ages, normally i just buy a bike and ride it lol, terrible i know but hey ho, hence i would like to do it, left it too long and now the new type test is a right git everyone says

im so considering selling my watch and if i get 500 odd for it use that to take my test
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the advice, that is what I thought and it goes against what my mate was saying last night He has had his license since he was 17 and recently bought a new (to him) TL1000R and going out on that with him has given me the bug. When I was younger I bought an old GPZ500s and I was going to learn to ride but a few of my friends had bad bike accidents so I binned the idea. There was no way I wanted to ride a restricted bike when he is out on his TLR

I feel a GSXR600 should have enough power to earn respect from a newbie and enough power when you need it A 750 or 1000 would be my ultimate goal but we are a way off that yet lol

Yes I still have the M3 in my siggy, I've not had it long and it's my daily driver.

Looks like the Sapph will be going up for sale soon
Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Nice one mate. Was gona say i've done the bike thing 3 times and its no substitute for a nice car IF your a car person at heart who fancies a bike! I'd imagine hardcore bikers would say the same about cars
Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know what you mean, if I still had my company car I wouldn't be thinking about it but the M3 does pretty much everything I want
Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulo P
TL1000R