General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

boxing in the rad on the cossie

Search this Thread

Old 23-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Heitmann
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default boxing in the rad on the cossie

Hey

I was looking for some inspiration how to box in the rad on the cossie
currently running a 60mm airtec intercooler, with standard rad and fans.

yesterday I did have a bit of a scare as the water temp needle was a quite close to the red - normally its sits bang in the middle. (I know they are not accurate, but surely it was running hotter than normal) also my oil temp was hotter than usually 96-98 degrees, even though I was just cruising at about 65mph

it was a hot day, and I figure the system have just been able to cope until now but the hot weather pushed the system to the max perhaps.

It did seem a little odd though -like if an airpocket or something had blocked the system - is this possible? - because the fans took 1-2 minutes to stop when I parked the car - normally they just spin for 10 sec or so, if they even come on at all.

nevertheless I have tried closing the cap between IC and rad now, moving them closer so the end tanks touch. And I have blocked the top and bottom gap with some aluminium sheet.

this morning, the temp seemed much better and in control - and once oil temp reached about 89-90 degrees, it quickly fell to 86-87 degrees again. guessing my 88 degrees stat is working. Water temp needle was perfect. Now I look forward to the drive home when the weather is hotter than this morning, if it still behaves as it should.

but any pictures of boxed in rads and/or advise on above, would be great thanks
Old 23-07-2014, 05:30 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have the plastic duct from front bumper to intercooler fitted to your car as I thought a combination of this and the radiator end tanks having a foam seal on them where they touch the intercooler is more than enough
Old 24-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Heitmann
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daz1968
Do you still have the plastic duct from front bumper to intercooler fitted to your car as I thought a combination of this and the radiator end tanks having a foam seal on them where they touch the intercooler is more than enough

the intercooler is an rs500 style in front of the rad, so no duct.

The problem has not appeared again - I do wonder if a air pocket or temporary blockage in the system could have caused this. I did fill the gaps on top and bottom between ic and rad, but seems odd if that could be the cause.