View Single Post
Old 23-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Heitmann
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default boxing in the rad on the cossie

Hey

I was looking for some inspiration how to box in the rad on the cossie
currently running a 60mm airtec intercooler, with standard rad and fans.

yesterday I did have a bit of a scare as the water temp needle was a quite close to the red - normally its sits bang in the middle. (I know they are not accurate, but surely it was running hotter than normal) also my oil temp was hotter than usually 96-98 degrees, even though I was just cruising at about 65mph

it was a hot day, and I figure the system have just been able to cope until now but the hot weather pushed the system to the max perhaps.

It did seem a little odd though -like if an airpocket or something had blocked the system - is this possible? - because the fans took 1-2 minutes to stop when I parked the car - normally they just spin for 10 sec or so, if they even come on at all.

nevertheless I have tried closing the cap between IC and rad now, moving them closer so the end tanks touch. And I have blocked the top and bottom gap with some aluminium sheet.

this morning, the temp seemed much better and in control - and once oil temp reached about 89-90 degrees, it quickly fell to 86-87 degrees again. guessing my 88 degrees stat is working. Water temp needle was perfect. Now I look forward to the drive home when the weather is hotter than this morning, if it still behaves as it should.

but any pictures of boxed in rads and/or advise on above, would be great thanks