General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth 2wd head problem

Search this Thread

Old 21-07-2014, 09:07 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Cosworth 2wd head problem

Hi lads I'm having a problem with the head on my Cosworth focus can any one shed any light on it . Two weeks back it suddenly used some water a bit od as it's very good on that side any way on a small drive after putting some water in the temp on the dash went up into the red and the blower went cold so I pulled over and put some more water in when it was cold a nuth to get the cap off . Well I fort to my self check the oil filler cap and the oil was starting to chang to a cream so I just fort ok the head gaslit is on it's was out so off with the head and to be onist I could not see much rong with it apart from number 3 piston was very clean witch made me think that's wair the gaskit must of gone any way a new head gaskit was fitted and the car was put back togever the old oil removed and as there was a lot of water it the oil I just put some old oil back in the motor to run for ten min then drop it and put some new stuff in . Well the time come to do a road test and to be onist it wa fealing a bit lumpy on one cilinder wall I was only out 5 min and the temp went up again so I got it back home and it had used a good amout of water and the oil was like cream again . It's punting to me that the head is cracked on the inlet side but it would be good to hear your replys to this problem . The head is coming back off tomorrow night and going in to be looked at
Old 21-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Southeastsaph
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the cylinder head pressure tested or surfaced??
Old 21-07-2014, 09:20 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I will be onist mate I did not :-(
I no I should of but it's more £ and as I'm going throw a devours at the mo I'm just trying to keep things going on the cheap but this time it's bit me in the ass .
Old 22-07-2014, 12:17 AM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head off again, pressure test and skim if needed, I've had 2 customers in the last week both one 2wd and one 4wd both head cracked to fook!
Old 22-07-2014, 06:12 AM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm really hoping it's not cracked but deep down I no it's going to be :-(
Old 22-07-2014, 03:09 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Could be the water to oil cooler modine......

Disconnect water pipes link together and try again.
Old 22-07-2014, 03:18 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the block.... I had a 205 block crack a cylinder liner. Got a new liner fitted and engine went again after 1500 mile so so I got rid of the car

Trending Topics

Old 23-07-2014, 09:30 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by costina
Could be the water to oil cooler modine......

Disconnect water pipes link together and try again.

It can't be the modine because it has a misfire and a piston crown has been steam cleaned , if it was the modine you would solely have oil/water mix, I must say I had a 205 with a pin hole in a bore that when the piston came up put water in the sump and when the piston was down put the water in the bore so you may not have a head issue but a block issue, best bet is pressure test the built engine and drop a bore scope down before you strip it
Old 23-07-2014, 09:38 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks mate I would of looked at the but the head is now off the car and in at a place I use to do my heads in the past my mate Rex tuck it in for me and I should by midday Friday no if it's any good or if it's for the bin . Rex said that the chap was very optimistic when he sore it Ashe said it didnot look like it was sealing 100% on number 3 and that pitting in the water ways was not helping so I'm keeping them Crost at the mo
Old 25-07-2014, 10:59 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right thanks for your replys lads I'v started to take the motor out of the car as the head come back today with a clean bill of health so we had a good look at number 3 in the block and gess wot the block is cracked . It's a 205 block on 1st over size but luck would have it I'v got a spare 205 in 1st over size so tonight that block has been cleaned up and I will push on tomorrow with getting the old Motor out and build up a new motor as I really won't to get this car to ford fair under its own steam thanks again for your help lads
Old 27-07-2014, 10:06 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by richard youll
It can't be the modine because it has a misfire and a piston crown has been steam cleaned , if it was the modine you would solely have oil/water mix, I must say I had a 205 with a pin hole in a bore that when the piston came up put water in the sump and when the piston was down put the water in the bore so you may not have a head issue but a block issue, best bet is pressure test the built engine and drop a bore scope down before you strip it

Good point well made it will teach me to read the post correctly

At least you have found this problem and have a spare block.
Old 27-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Non custom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Least ya got down to bottom of problem