General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

'That' cambered Mk1 Golf/Rabbit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'That' cambered Mk1 Golf/Rabbit...

Found this elsewhere so though it i'd put it up here, always wondered what the story was behind it from the fail pics

Originally Posted by "Fluffy
Monday
Passenger side axle broke at the point where the shaft meets the tranny. Convinced my mother to loan me $70 to purchase a new one because I needed it to go to h2oi. Advance overnighted me an axle.

Tuesday
Axle comes in, and gets replaced. Start driving it around and the driver side snaps at the same place.

Wednesday
Go to Ben's house to pull an axle for free, but it gets stripped out since the car is a rust bucket. Grab the passenger just in case. Get home late and decide I can repair the axle the next day.

Thursday
Axle is turded and too old to be useful, so I convince my mother to loan me more money to pick up another axle from Bap Geon. Bap drove one from NN that day and got me the axle. Install and finish packing my stuff.

Friday
Left for the 150 mile drive at 2am so I wouldn’t cause traffic while driving at 45mph. Only issue is the alternator belt, which came and went and caused me to die twice. A sheriff jumped me once and some nice guy at a gas station helped me the second time. As I pull up the main strip I get pulled over by a SUV for no reason. He said "no mirrors", but my antique tags have different laws so he writes me a warning for "Failure to drive right of center" and I head toward the hotel. Arrived at Comfort Inn at 6am and fall asleep.

Wake up later and general partying ensues. My friends and I notice a strong presence of police officers breaking up peoples meets more than usual (2 years ago for me, so idk). Continue to enjoy the night and fall asleep late.

Saturday
Friends car broke so the morning was spent tinkering. Went to the BBQ (shit band and overpriced food) and rolled out to go to the Jolly Rogers meet. Drove by the place at 3:30 on the way to pick up the Swagrabbit and it was already broken up by the OCfaggotss. I got the car anyways and drove it to the mk2 meet.

Enjoy myself and drive down the strip (15~20mph tops)

until Officer Hurrdurr pulls me over for tires sticking beyonf the fender.

Writes me a ticket for "Driving unsafe vehicle on highway" and tells me I cannot drive the car tonight, but I was allowed to drive the car back to the hotel. He said if he tow it again that night he would tow it away. He also refused to jumpstart the car under the condition that his car has engine management. Just being a dick in general, so I pull to my hotel and break the oil pan upon entering the parking lot. Take some time for the air ride limbo and then head to Wal-Mart to get some JB weld putty, and just my luck Wal-Mart is closed. Proceed to look for anything that is open at 11pm. No luck. Go back to the parking lot and ask around, and sure enough, someone had some 2 part epoxy in their trunk. I pull my pan in the rain, clean it up and epoxy it shut. Put the pan back on and fall asleep. I STILL HAVE THE MAGLIGHT FROM WHOEVER LENT IT TO ME, PM ME PLEASE SO I CAN SEND IT BACK!!!! Fall asleep and await the show tomorrow.

Sunday
A friend bought me some oil and we filled the car up. Start driving for the show at 10:20 and get pulled over BY THE SAME OFFICER at 10:30. I didn’t notice, but my oil pan was broken again and leaking. He proceeds to call the fire department because he’s a fucking retard and thought it was gasoline after smelling it, touching it and even me stating that it was my oil pan. Fire dept shows up and they are pretty cool, just throw some fuzzy stuff down to collect the oil and start talking about their cars with me.

Officer dicknut proceeds to write me a ticket for the exact same thing as yesterday and takes pictures of the car with his phone again (which I hope was a police phone for evidence, and not his personal phone) all the while giggling with his buddy in street clothes in the passenger seat of his cruiser. Tow truck shows up and I have to help him get it on the truck, he's just as chill as the fire dept. Officer Tard proceeds to give me back my license and rolls out leaving me on the side of the road with all my baggage. He never once told me WHY my car was unsafe. A friend picks me up at 1:30 and I roll to the show, depressed that my $400 car will now probably be crushed. He never told me where or how to pick it up, but since I don’t have any money I guess it doesn’t matter anyways. Enjoy the show for a bit and head back home to Chesapeake.

Hopefully someone will pick that thing up for $50 from the police auction (if they don’t crush it first) and take care of it. The camber was completely reversible with about 30min of work (a bolt as a spacer in the rear, (behind the hub, forcing it to a silly angle and buggering the geometry to the extent that the spring is no longer in its cup)

and a three bolt set up in the front (Sadly no picture available)). The car really didn’t have any rust and would be a good car to restore. It will need an oil pan to drive it, but all in all not "unsafe" at all. Plus the car was tagged with antique plates, so it wasn’t illegal either.

As to driving the car, for the 150 mile trip to h2o I had the front at stock camber for the speeds that I was traveling (45~50mph). At h2o I had the crazy camber, but never once did the car exceed 25mph and it was only driven on the strip. People who think it was unsafe are retarded, just like the retards who thought I originally “took out the axle and dropped it” for the camber.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

what a fucking retard!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

OMFG how can you be so fucking thick and think thats safe?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tank Mike
OMFG how can you be so fucking thick and think thats safe?
Depends what you mean by safe though, if he was only doing 25mph in it, then its safe in terms of the fact it wouldnt be a big accident if it did collapse anyway.

A more important question is why the fuck these VW retards think that looks good in the first place.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I find it quite funny how he thought that leakin oil on the road is actually no big problem...

I don't think the bike people would agree...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Chip

A more important question is why the fuck these VW retards think that looks good in the first place.
That's what I'll never be able to work out.

Fucking Hitler-Loving Hippies!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

shit car IMO looks ready for the scrap heap lol
also oil on the road is not a problem WTF!?!
what a twat lol

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
smithy20vt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Depends what you mean by safe though, if he was only doing 25mph in it, then its safe in terms of the fact it wouldnt be a big accident if it did collapse anyway.

If you've been on any of the UK VW forums you'll see that most people will agree with what everyone has said on here.

The Car has taken they whole stretched and Cambered look miles to far
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

VW fanboys are fuckin oddballs. The 'trends' on their 'scene' generally look utter wank.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by smithy20vt
If you've been on any of the UK VW forums you'll see that most people will agree with what everyone has said on here.

The Car has taken they whole stretched and Cambered look miles to far
Even on the more mild cars, it still looks like you're suspension is fucked and you have fitted the wrong tyres, and more importantly it ruins the handling.

which just sums up the whole gay VW scene in the first place, its full of people modifying their cars to make them SLOWER round a track, like the gay litle wheels people fit and then have to go down to 1.4 polo brakes etc

Shame, cause there are a few people making really good trackday cars out of VW's and the cars themselves arent too bad but most of the "scene" is just totally gay.

"It's a VW thing, you wouldnt understand"

No, its a moron thing, and I dont want to understand it as I like cars that are fast.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Coldo
VW fanboys are fuckin oddballs. The 'trends' on their 'scene' generally look utter wank.
Yeah, whenever I see a modded VW I tend to think of eyeliner and self-harm...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

which just sums up the whole gay VW scene in the first place, its full of people modifying their cars to make them SLOWER round a track, like the gay litle wheels people fit and then have to go down to 1.4 polo brakes etc
Don't agree with you on this bit Chip.

Just because they aren't all obsessed with performance doesn't make the scene 'gay'

We're not all into track cars!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by alan12112

Just because they aren't all obsessed with performance doesn't make the scene 'gay
Oh YES IT DOES...

Looking as "nice as possible" with no regards to practibility is and always has been a very "female" thing.

Putting wheels on just for looks and compromising the handling is a bit like a bloke wearing high-heels...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike C
LOL. Too true.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Chip

Just because they aren't all obsessed with performance doesn't make the scene 'gay'
Originally Posted by PeterRST
Oh YES IT DOES...

Looking as "nice as possible" with no regards to practibility is and always has been a very "female" thing.

Putting wheels on just for looks and compromising the handling is a bit like a bloke wearing high-heels...
LOL

Exactly!

Its as bad as all the nasty fibgreglassed crap out there IMHO
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Chip

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

LOL

Exactly!

Its as bad as all the nasty fibgreglassed crap out there IMHO
I want a Golf plastered in fibreglass with 20 degree's negative camber and 145 tyres on 13x10" rims, should manage about 5mins around Combe
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratty
I want a Golf plastered in fibreglass with 20 degree's negative camber and 145 tyres on 13x10" rims, should manage about 5mins around Combe
5mins before it breaks?

That thing looks poo, and anyone who thinks a bolt wedged between the axle and hub is 'safe' shouldn't be on the road in the firstplace!

edit: anyone else notice in the last picture he doesn't seem to have any brake lines going to his rear brakes?

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 02-02-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Slamz
5mins before it breaks?

That thing looks poo, and anyone who thinks a bolt wedged between the axle and hub is 'safe' shouldn't be on the road in the firstplace!

edit: anyone else notice in the last picture he doesn't seem to have any brake lines going to his rear brakes?
That's just the bleed nipple I think.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

Fucking Hitler-Loving Hippies!
Thats brilliant
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
alan12112

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Oh YES IT DOES...

Bollocks it does, so if someone had a nice car and didn't want to spend loads of money on the engine and they'd rather make it look good and spend their money on something else that makes my car gay?

Maybe they don't want the hefty insurance bills/depreciation costs etc etc

Some very narrow minded people on passionford these days

Modding cars isn't just about how much quicker you can make them

Last edited by alan12112; 02-02-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks fucking wank!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Chip

Modding cars isn't just about how much quicker you can make them

Its not just about how fucking GAY you can make them look either though

That whole "euro look" thing has been utterly done to death, and is a total fucking cliche, its nearly as sad as all the crappy "rat look" shite all the kids who know fuck all about cars and have no money do these days "to be different" its not fucking different if so many of them are doing it.

Modify your car to make it BETTER not WORSE, wether that be the power the handling or whatever.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they don't want the hefty insurance bills/depreciation costs etc etc
I'm sorry what? So putting gay wheels on your car, lowering it, and making the wheels stick out at funny angles isn't going to increase your insurance or make your car depreciate? I'm not sure where you're living, but it doesn't seem to be on earth
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what a load of scrap,theres some right dipshits around in america.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
cossiejsy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

that looks bloody awfull
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Why is the only word I can think of
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Also, I couldn't drive a mile without my rear view mirrors... He doesn't seem to care.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Ho do you steer with the wheels at those angles?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Less.
Ho do you steer with the wheels at those angles?
Badly, just like it accelerates and brakes.

fucking awful piece of shite.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Yep rather shit and dangerous oil eaing deathtrap
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
alan12112

Its not just about how fucking GAY you can make them look either though

That whole "euro look" thing has been utterly done to death, and is a total fucking cliche, its nearly as sad as all the crappy "rat look" shite all the kids who know fuck all about cars and have no money do these days "to be different" its not fucking different if so many of them are doing it.
How on earth is a euro look car a cliche?

Modify your car to make it BETTER not WORSE, wether that be the power the handling or whatever.
They are making it better - looks wise

Originally Posted by Slamz
I'm sorry what? So putting gay wheels on your car, lowering it, and making the wheels stick out at funny angles isn't going to increase your insurance or make your car depreciate? I'm not sure where you're living, but it doesn't seem to be on earth
I don't think deep dish wheels are gay at all and abit of camber on them sets them off really nice - of course this'll increase your insurance but not as much as spending stupid amounts of money on making your car "quick" would! What do you think costs more to insure - a 1.9tdi golf which is lowered with alloys or someone who's spent a rediculous amount of money on a 20 year old sierra trying to make it as fast as a standard evo which he could've bought for half the money he's spent on the Saph?

And which one will loose more money? the golf bought for 5k then spent 2k on it or the saph - bought for 5k then spent 10k on a rebuild/adding performance parts
Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Turbo Transit
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Or how about a Golf TDI with some properly fitting wheels, some decent (ie not broken) suspension, correct wheel alignment and correct steering geometry....
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No one is suggesting you have to tune your car, but if youre going to improve it then correctly fitting wheels etc can all make it look better without making it unsafe to drive.

I liked the euro look before it went mad, lots of flushing and smoothing, removing handles and that sort of thing, before it became about 20 degrees of camber and tyres stretched over wheels wider than they are tall with brakes the size of penny washers underneath.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I don't mind a modicum of form over function. At the end of the day, style is important.

But I'm only interested in cars that have ultimately been designed with improved performance in mind.

Plus, anyone who thinks doing shit like that ^^^ looks good, or makes their car look better in any way, is a cunt. Simple as.

There are lots of things that I don't like one bit, but respect that other people may do and that's their choice. But that is ridiculous.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

What a load of wank. Looks shit, would have looked better standard. If anyone thinks that looks better than standard, they should probably take advantage of one of the endless offers at Spec Savers

I know a few VW fans, and loads of them have to avoid whole areas because their cars can't go there.

Running it that low, or with silly camber, or stretched tyres is just making the geometry a mess, and making components work way outside their operating area.

We all make compromises in our modified cars; perhaps sacrificing some ride comfort for handling, or increased engine noise for performance, or maybe even fitting wheels that are a touch too big for ultimate handling to allow bigger brakes. Most of these people seem to do everything in their power to make the car drive and handle terribly, just for the sake of approval from a bunch of floppy haired, skinny jean wearing pillocks, who don't know the first thing about cars.

At the end of the day, a car is a means of transport. Making it so it can't drive down half the roads in your town, or drive it at normal road speeds is just retarded. If you want a fashion accessory, buy a man-bag and be done with it

Having visited a VW show, and being talked down to because I said I owned a Ford, and told I just don't understand, I can't say I feel any inclination to get involved. I've seen a show and shine competition packed with cars that haven't even been cleaned, with standard, dirty, beige MK2 Polo's with nothing more than a set of chopped springs competing for honours against rusty beetles, or cars that have been intentionally 'rusted' etc. That's not show and shine, it's a scrap yard
Old 02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Chip

How on earth is a euro look car a cliche?
Because its been utterly fucking done to death, its just SO fucking boring now

They are making it better - looks wise
Are they fuck! it just looks like the suspension is fucked and the tyre fitter was a fucking retard who fitted the rubber off a citreon 2cv by mistake

Utter load of shite

although the crappy fucking "rat look" vw's are even worse, shit roofrack with a kiddies bike and a traffic cone on it, wow great
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looks crap!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM
FIESTAHH

If the wheels were more-a-less straight, or slightly cambered, it would look and handle 100% better.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I have nothing to add to this other than to say "what Chip said" Agree with you all the way mate

Quick Reply: 'That' cambered Mk1 Golf/Rabbit...