General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anybody had a section 59 letter from the police!!

Search this Thread

Old 25-02-2009, 09:29 PM
r thompson
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody had a section 59 letter from the police!!

Got in from work today and found a letter addressed to me from the local police.
Once i opened the letter it was about my vehicle been used in a manner that has caused alarm harassment or distress to members of the public,either because of excessive noise,or because of the way the vehicle was driven, it had no time date, what ive supposed to of done wrong, and where it happened.
It was sent from the local community support officer, i have sent her a sh##ty email asking her what evidence has she got? Do i stand any chance of appealing against this?
Old 25-02-2009, 09:34 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?op...267&Itemid=492
Old 25-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

you do need to find out what it was you did
and they have to tell you
Old 25-02-2009, 11:55 PM
LUCKO
Regular Contributor

Location: On The Eighth Day God Created Wolverhampton Wanderers

tell them to suck your balls, unless they have video/photgraphice evidence they are just fishing

a policeman knocked our door years ago with regards to my car overtaking some trouser wasp in a vw cabrio, my old man told them to get off the drive and they did

Last edited by LUCKO; 25-02-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26-02-2009, 12:48 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iirc it can be done and is done quite often. The filth need no evidence as it's them that give them out.

And there is no appeal process, 2 and your out. I think
Old 26-02-2009, 06:37 AM
gingerxr2
Regular Contributor

2 of them and i think they have the right to cease your motor
Old 26-02-2009, 07:24 AM
reithy

i had one of these, they had a major crackdown last summer with us,

youll prob just get a warning
Old 26-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They dont need any evidence to give these out, they are the same as ASBO's, just a warning, You get two and you get your car impounded and have a release fee of Ł105 iirc, I have had two and had to pay the price
Old 26-02-2009, 10:50 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note for those above that don't know/realise.
A email does not in LAW constitute communication, ie asking for evidence by email they can ignore, this is because LEGALLY it has to have a SIGNATURE attached to it, so FAX or LETTER.
A lot of people get caught out with this when asking for evidence, where it's done by email, they don't give you it, only if requested by fax or letter.
tabetha
Old 26-02-2009, 03:46 PM
xrBennett

i got an asbo for doing over 100mph by my house at 2 in the morning, just cos they couldnt prove how fast i was going i argued that they should either give me a speeding ticket or fuck off but i still got the 59

i spoke to a few policemen that i know and they said not to worry, just dont get caught for a year

then i get caught driving "erratically" by the same policeman 2 weeks later. he recognised me and decided he was gonna take my car off me. he gets on the blower to the recovery people while i argue with the other policeman, trying to save myself Ł115 when through the radio, they get called away. the policeman that knows me says "your lucky, next time, your cars gone" and they leave me.

lucky my cars dead now

apparently the asbo is against you and your car so if your caught driving someone elses car they can take the car, and also if one of your mates borrow your car and gets caught, they can take your car even if the driver has nothing against his name. fucking gay rules
Old 26-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Top Link!
Old 26-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Section 59's are the ultimate power for coppers to abuse motorists with.

NO appeal process
2 strikes and they take your car away

Legitimate issueing of them is intended for things such as:
Excessive vehicle noise
Inconsiderate driving
Causing a nuiscance such as kerb crawling

But they frequently give them out with utterly no grounds at all and there is nothing whatsoever you can actually do about it.

You cant even request that you go to court for a hearing to decide if its been fairly issued.

Welcome to the first steps towards a police state, it will be judge dredd by the end of our lifetimes the way things are going
Old 26-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xrBennett
apparently the asbo is against you and your car so if your caught driving someone elses car they can take the car, and also if one of your mates borrow your car and gets caught, they can take your car even if the driver has nothing against his name. fucking gay rules
I was informed it even remains against the car when it changes hands.

So you could buy a car that has a 59 against it, not know that, do nothing wrong other than some copper not like your face, et voila, car gone instantly.

It really is a very badly implemented law.

I agree with the principles behind it, in terms of trying to stop genuine nuiscance motorists, but unfortunately the police keep proviing time and time again that they can be a bigger nuiscance than they are meant to prevent.
Old 26-02-2009, 04:13 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingerxr2
2 of them and i think they have the right to cease your motor
I Doubt it.
Old 26-02-2009, 04:14 PM
xrBennett

its true carl thats how the section 59 works
Old 26-02-2009, 05:14 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it stays with u and the car!
i got one in my cossie a couple years back for coming out of a car park side ways, few weeks later they tried again for noise pollution for turbo chatter
i had to show him it made tht noise how ever u drive
Old 26-02-2009, 05:35 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

seizing your car must be the easy option. i got charged with assault and got a Ł150 compensation order against me. they said if i failed to pay theyed take my car. i wasnt even in my car or even had it with me at the time i assaulted the dude.
Old 26-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

fuzzy was that detailed on the compensation order or was it a general remark about non payment??? theyve always had ability to sieze property to pay for fines/compo etc
Old 26-02-2009, 06:03 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

detailed in the compensation order. its been a few years since i was charged with anything apart from that a couple of months ago.
Old 26-02-2009, 06:15 PM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i had letters from the council because apperntly my music was too loud...and i was causing noise pollution...and apperntly if they got more complaints they wer liable to take my speakers...bloody neighbours..even thou i live in a fully detached house and u cant really hear music the neighbours just see big speakers in and out of my house bcz i dj and f*cking moan....bloody old bogies!!!!!!
Old 26-02-2009, 06:29 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well it seems they need VERY little evidence when it comes to things like this.

A mate of mine got reported by a randon member of the public for being on his mobile. Went to court and he got 3 points and a Ł700 fine. The 'evidence' was purely based on a single witness statement.
Old 26-02-2009, 08:42 PM
r thompson

did drive down the road the other night pretty fast, the car coming the other way was flashing at me, it wasnt until i got level with it,i realised it was the filth,i see them lock up but just kept going flat out, there was no way they got my plate
Old 26-02-2009, 08:46 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by r thompson
did drive down the road the other night pretty fast, the car coming the other way was flashing at me, it wasnt until i got level with it,i realised it was the filth,i see them lock up but just kept going flat out, there was no way they got my plate
i thought that in a similar situation 14 years ago, i was going to fast and the police car coming towards me swerved off and crashed .they got a partial number plate and came knocking on my door a week later once theyed traced me....
Old 26-02-2009, 08:56 PM
r thompson

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i thought that in a similar situation 14 years ago, i was going to fast and the police car coming towards me swerved off and crashed .they got a partial number plate and came knocking on my door a week later once theyed traced me....
the worrying thing is the letter is dated the day before that happened so i could have another in the post
Old 26-02-2009, 11:54 PM
xrBennett

Originally Posted by r thompson
when they saw me speeding the first time i kept going too as they were travelling in the opposite direction. unfortunately my house is after the first left and first right turning, so my rod was the first place they looked

i had left my car and was walking up to my front door when they pulled up. they got out the car and ran at me to stop me. i argued that it werent me that had caused the offence but the fact i had white wheels on a black car made it a bit obvious to them

they well wanted to give me a speeding ticket but they had no proof, so section 59 was the only punishment they could deal out on me
Old 27-02-2009, 05:38 AM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i love creeping upto a jap/german car at night...knowing that its got high sensitivity on the alarm...and just revvvvving it so the alarm goes off...u myt think itsa bit sad but not when its ur mates car
Old 27-02-2009, 07:05 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My god i've heard everything now, i'm moving house on Monday and 3 doors away a copper has bought too, best not fit a side exit then
Old 27-02-2009, 03:27 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
My god i've heard everything now, i'm moving house on Monday and 3 doors away a copper has bought too, best not fit a side exit then
Coppers don't generally get involved in minor goings on in their own neighbourhood, remember they still have to live there afterwards.

I currently live next to 2 coppers and have previously lived next door to a local Sergeant.

Old 27-02-2009, 06:07 PM
adam.d
PassionFord Regular

I have a copper in my street, top bloke, he's even helped me with engine conversions and bought bits off me when I've been breaking cars on the drive!!!
Old 27-02-2009, 06:59 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i got 1 years ago for stoving a ekky2 in 2 a bag of coal(long story) just kept my head down for a year all forgot about
Old 28-02-2009, 08:29 PM
r thompson

got a phone call on friday from the police,they didnt get all the number plate, just the last three letters. they said my car was the only silver subaru with those last three letters in the area,still played stupid and said i couldnt remember if i was in that area when she said my car was seen. in the end she said that they were going to forget about it this time and if i thaught it was me just to be abit more careful. got away with it this time bet they are looking out for me now! good job it wasnt in the 3dr ,every time i go out in that they stop just to look at it,and know without looking at the plate its mine.