Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sapphire 2wd water pump

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2014, 07:23 PM
johnnycortina
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sapphire 2wd water pump

Noticed some water on garage floor under cossy - look like a leaky water pump. I have a new one for my 2.0 cortina. Will it fit the 2wd? Thanks.
Old 18-01-2014, 07:38 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

As long as its the steel version not the alloy one pintos used. They are the same as pinto injection pumps anything 2l sierra with twin belts is the same.
Old 19-01-2014, 12:45 AM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

I asked my local parts motor factors to check on their system he part numbers for mine then enter said part number back into the system to see what else what the same. cortina. sierra capri etc all the same part number. Quinton hazell ones on ebay were summat like 80 quid. My factors got me the same for about 13 quid. Fitted to my 3 door a treat and not had any bother
Old 19-01-2014, 05:20 PM
johnnycortina

Originally Posted by CosworthGuy
I asked my local parts motor factors to check on their system he part numbers for mine then enter said part number back into the system to see what else what the same. cortina. sierra capri etc all the same part number. Quinton hazell ones on ebay were summat like 80 quid. My factors got me the same for about 13 quid. Fitted to my 3 door a treat and not had any bother

Thanks guys - would be good to avoid the 'cosworth tax' alright. Took the water pump off this evening, and sure enough its leaking past the seals.
Old 20-01-2014, 01:44 AM
boostn_capri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi there,
I have just been through this with my 2wd saff, the 2wd cortina ones fit but they are quite different, the impellor is much larger on the cossie one and has a flange on it, outside the cossie one has thicker webbing and a larger diameter snout.

Over here in NZ / Oz my local tuner said if you use the cortina one you may run into heating issues down the track.

(Cossie on left, Cortina on right)

Name:  wp1_zps5d5bfeba.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  11.2 KB

(Cossie closest and Cortina furtherest away)

Name:  wp2_zps11ff1af0.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  8.0 KB

Also there is reconditioning kits available if the impellor isnt to badly rusted. I did also manage to find a reproduction waterpump that had the cortina housing with the cossie impellor. End the end I just orderd mine through Burtons and got the proper OE item.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Kane
Old 20-01-2014, 07:24 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by boostn_capri
Hi there,
I have just been through this with my 2wd saff, the 2wd cortina ones fit but they are quite different, the impellor is much larger on the cossie one and has a flange on it, outside the cossie one has thicker webbing and a larger diameter snout.

Over here in NZ / Oz my local tuner said if you use the cortina one you may run into heating issues down the track.

(Cossie on left, Cortina on right)

(Cossie closest and Cortina furtherest away)

Also there is reconditioning kits available if the impellor isnt to badly rusted. I did also manage to find a reproduction waterpump that had the cortina housing with the cossie impellor. End the end I just orderd mine through Burtons and got the proper OE item.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Kane

That's correct which is why I said use the injection pinto one which is identical to a cossie one. and not to use the alloy type.
Old 13-03-2014, 10:52 PM
paulmex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just had the same conversation with the local motor factors we use ?
They sent me a unipart pump listed for 2wd Cosworth and when it arrived it a alloy one but has the same size and style of impelor that my cast Cosworth one has?
I rang them to say it was wrong and even gave them the reg number of the donor car to use the look up and they still list it as correct for a 2wd YB
So the question is will it be up to the job ?
Cheers paul

Trending Topics

Old 14-03-2014, 07:53 PM
johnnycortina

Originally Posted by paulmex
I've just had the same conversation with the local motor factors we use ?
They sent me a unipart pump listed for 2wd Cosworth and when it arrived it a alloy one but has the same size and style of impelor that my cast Cosworth one has?
I rang them to say it was wrong and even gave them the reg number of the donor car to use the look up and they still list it as correct for a 2wd YB
So the question is will it be up to the job ?
Cheers paul

Just my experience - I fitted the type you describe to my sapphire. Its has the exact same impellor design as original cosworth type, just with alloy housing. It fitted perfect, and I am happy with it.
Old 14-03-2014, 09:30 PM
paulmex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnycortina
Just my experience - I fitted the type you describe to my sapphire. Its has the exact same impellor design as original cosworth type, just with alloy housing. It fitted perfect, and I am happy with it.
Thanks for that