Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

higher revs when engine start

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Yura
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default higher revs when engine start

I have occasionally problem - when the cold engine start the revs up to 2k or 3k... Revs may down to needed 1.2K by itself after some secînds or minutes but not always.
When the rev is hi I can reduce it to 1.2k by turn off the plug from any of the sensors(amal valve, idle speed sensor...) or when I switch off the engine and start it again...
Thanks for any help.
Old 26-09-2007, 08:04 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i would suggest removing your Idle Speed Control Valve and cleaning it
Old 26-09-2007, 03:32 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

air leak? spray wd40 when it is high idling.and if it drops hey presto.you got a air leak
Old 26-09-2007, 04:05 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem

i have a idle problem , when cold 1st thing in morn it will idle at 850 ish , as soon as engine starts to get warm the idle goes up to 1200 , how easy is the idle valve to remove and clean , looks straight forward 2 screws ? i believe the fast idle can be adjusted if i do it when engine is warm ? can any one confirm this cos it sounds easy , or am i going to open up a hole can of worms trying to do this myself . i'm ok with a spanner when i put my mind to it just new to ford's .
Old 27-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Yura

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i would suggest removing your Idle Speed Control Valve and cleaning it
I have already changed it too another one(used, but absolutely clean). But this is not solve the problem... Today in the morning when I have started the engine revs slow up to 2k. I have switched off it and start again, 2k again , then I turned off plug from amal valve(at working engine), revs sharply drops to 1.3K then I turn on plug to amal, revs stay at 1.3K then 1k when engine warmed up, and I drive to the work...

cossiegreg1 I'll check... But me confused that if I turn of the plug from amal valve revs droped... I think its some electrical problem... or may be TPS...
Old 27-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Yura

Default Re: idle problem

Originally Posted by gaz4x4cos
i have a idle problem , when cold 1st thing in morn it will idle at 850 ish , as soon as engine starts to get warm the idle goes up to 1200 , how easy is the idle valve to remove and clean , looks straight forward 2 screws ? i believe the fast idle can be adjusted if i do it when engine is warm ? can any one confirm this cos it sounds easy , or am i going to open up a hole can of worms trying to do this myself . i'm ok with a spanner when i put my mind to it just new to ford's .
You need to clean the idle valve first... You can do it by yourself: turn it off, then you must see the litle screw(about 3mm diameter) in valve, you need to screw it off, then you can clean all parts of valve...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Yura

I have adjusted TPS from 0.2V to 0.5V when throttle closed. CO adjusted to 2%. Idle speed now 3500rpm. When I disconnect plug from ISCV revs down to 1000rpm. ISCV allways have +12V, and fully open when connected. When iscv disconected, air come to engine only through smal hole in thrrotle body(because when i put finger to hole, engine stoped - other air leak is absent). why ecu always give 12V to iscv?

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

because the ecu gives the earth to the iscv not the live. the live is constant

does sound like you have an air leak to me there somewhere, with the iscv unplugged the base idle should be adjusted on the throttle body screw, and set at around 900rpm, then when the iscv is plugged back in with the engine hot idle should be uneffected.

how does putting your finger over the idle screw hole effect idle? sound almost like the screw is missing all together?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Yura

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF

does sound like you have an air leak to me there somewhere, with the iscv unplugged the base idle should be adjusted on the throttle body screw, and set at around 900rpm, then when the iscv is plugged back in with the engine hot idle should be uneffected.

how does putting your finger over the idle screw hole effect idle? sound almost like the screw is missing all together?
my iscv allways have +12 and earth. so it fully open when ignition "on" and at working engine. no leak 100%, because when iscv disconected(idle speed 1000rpm) I put finger to this hole idle speed drop to 200rpm or engine may stop. That screw I cann't turn and I dont screw it never. so when engine hot and I connect plug to iscv it will be open and revs reduce to about 3500rpm.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM
z0tya
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Yura
Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF

my iscv allways have +12 and earth. so it fully open when ignition "on" and at working engine. no leak 100%, because when iscv disconected(idle speed 1000rpm) I put finger to this hole idle speed drop to 200rpm or engine may stop. That screw I cann't turn and I dont screw it never. so when engine hot and I connect plug to iscv it will be open and revs reduce to about 3500rpm.
I think it's a contact problem somewhere. I had same when i washed the engine bay, and everything was wet. After all things dryed then went to normal. But I don't know which part got water...
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Yura

I have adjust TPS back from 0.55V to 0.25 at idle. It solve my problem. Now it working fine with iscv. Over 0.4V at TPS on idle my ECU put +12V to iscv and it fully open, and ECU try to hold vacuum 0.6bar(at idle) by increase rpm (imxo)... But I can't to screw adjusting screw(4x4 throttle) and now i have 1100rpm at idle when engine hot.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Yura

The problem with hi revs when engine start is still
When I disconnect the plug from amal or ISCV the revs droped to normal heating revs(1300rpm) then I put it back and revs still normal till it start cold again.
Help please!
I know that occasionally other two cossie of my mates have the same problem. But I have it too often.
Old 28-11-2007, 06:49 PM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No more than 300mV for the TPS at closed throttle is a must. Check if this value is still the same at the ECU connector otherwise maybe its wiring or TPS itself could be faulty.
The right setting cured the high rpm at idle for my 4x4 cossie.
Old 29-11-2007, 02:23 AM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Run me through how to check the voltage of the TPS as my Cossie does exactly that and I had given up trying to cure it.
Old 29-11-2007, 03:16 AM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Yura
Originally Posted by gaz4x4cos
You need to clean the idle valve first... You can do it by yourself: turn it off, then you must see the litle screw(about 3mm diameter) in valve, you need to screw it off, then you can clean all parts of valve...