Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

sierra in need of help ?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
garry_noble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra in need of help ?!

well i just acquired a sierra its well looked after in my opinion !! no rust ect

at the moment it has small problem!!

you can drive it and rev it and its fine!!! but say u drive slowly the speed will build up, but if u go to boot it !! all power is loss!!! dunno it just disappears then it will come back as sooon as you back of the accelerator

any ideas people?

thanks
garry

oh yea its a 2litre dohc sierra gls!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

track in the tps
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
garry_noble

how do i go about solving that then ???

i believe it had new throttle sensor fitted!!!

i can efi manifold bit a clean with injector spray and boy its was full of dirt !! it poured out !! thilthy!!

also ive added injector cleaner to fuel aswell it cant do any harm!!! also clean tht idle speed control valve on the intake pipe aswell !! hope see if it cures it tomorrow!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
dojj

use petrol to clean the inlet butterfly once you've removed it from the inlet manifold
the tps is the little black thing on the side held in with 2 8mm bolts
this is normally what's fubar
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM
tribal jedi

have you checked the air filter to turbo hose is not loose,had same thing happen to me
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
garry_noble

its not got a turbo :S

erm apart frm that guy who has had car since 1997 has done most of servicing apart from fuel filter lol !!

its never been changed in all 10years of him owning it lol!!!

and looking thro sierra manuals they say 'fuel filter choked' or possibly 'air leak' or 'injection problem'

there is a few more but i cant be bothered right them up !

but ive got new fuel filter and gonna fit that today!!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:16 PM
dojj

the other thing to check after the obvious ones is the breather that lives under the exhaust and the pipe that comes up behind the back of the head and into the inlet manifold

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
garry_noble

rite i will have a look but im not entirely sure wat im looking for may have to be shown a picture!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM
garry_noble

well bit of an update ! i gave the manifold a good flush out and wow its was sooooooo thilthy!!! i couldnt believe dirt that came out !!
i also brought new fuel filter so thats gonna get fitted (i brought filter as person who owned car since 97' hadnt eva changed it ) lol

and i gave it drive its tiny bit better but still need to fit filter but i will try to elaborate on the problem if i can !

well you can pull off with car use little more revs, and it will move on !! then if u drive down road u need to be gentle on the accelerator, the speed will build up easily and u can get into higher gears 2nd was most could manage, then as soon as u go past say 50% the car literally cuts out ! if quick enough can catch it and keep it running but it will jst kill engine!! stop it running basically!!

any more ideas!???? wat else could that be /??????!!

could resetin ecu help (how do u do tht ):

i wanna keep this car as second car to my 2litre fiesta! but if i cant fix it i will have to sell it !
Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for corona discharge on the plugs, as this can cause it, but it normally jumps around a bit with this.
Youy can test the TPS by putting a metre on it and watching the reading as you slowly open the throttle.
Personally I would look at mixture first, change filter, check fuel pressure, clean maf/check map(?)
tabetha
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 PM
garry_noble

well i will have look at wateva i can !! but tbh im not sure ! air filter is brand new tho !!!

got brand new fuel filter to go on aswell lol !!!!

wheres MAF as i couldnt see one !! wat about tht MAPsensor wheres tht !!

erm i aing got a multimeter!!! tho so i cant do it !! but should i see progressive increase! am i testing resistance or voltage of tp
Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 PM
garry_noble

well my mate wit his own sierra saph came over and had look around and him and his mate were truly amazed aswell !! they canr see what problem was he ragged it around block a few times and he said the fault is soooooo random its not like it happens a specific time !!!

it literally cuts off engine and it cuts unless u catch clutch and keep revs goin !!!!

he ragged it around and he said that it did feel better second time around but fault still there!!

could it be one of those things that could be sorted with bit more use!!! obvioulsy he was insured to drive it so he was able to rag around streets and he said its one of those sierra things they have problem and seem to sort themselve out all on there own !!

so could it jst be lack of use tht creating problem i have!!

also we took throttle bit off and disconnected ect and it cut out so tht must prove that its working yea!!! also we had it unbolted and moved it around and it adjusted revs so that must be sign of its working order? yea