Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cam Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:14 AM
steveandtracy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Belt Change

Hi everyone, a couple of questions you can hopefully help me with before i put my car back together (88 2wd Sapphire Cosworth.)

Started to change the Cam Belt on my car as am unsure when it was last done (i have receipts for everything, even new foam seat bolsters but none for a cam belt change!) and while trying to get the crankshaft pulley off i managed to break one of the four little lugs on the pulley off. It looks like there is some kind of sensor that maybe takes a measurement off these (crankshaft sensor?) so don't want to put it back on if my car is going to play up. Any ideas if i need to buy a new crankshaft pulley? In case my description is not clear on the back of the pulley there are four lugs at 90 degrees to each other and i have broken one of these off.

Also the box for the cam belt tells me to line the two arrows on the cam shaft pulleys up (left one at three o'clock and right one at 9 o'clock) and then line the cut outs on the crankshaft pulley up with the cast bracket on the block (which looks to be at about 12 o'Clock. Is this correct? as when i removed the belt this is not where the markings were. I had the right cam pulley at 9 O'clock but the left one was only at 2. Also the crankshaft pulley seemed to be at about 10 oclock and did not line up with the markings?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you need either to repair the pulley (ie weld the lug back on) or replace it - expect to pay around £40+ for a pulley.

There are plenty of threads on here about crank/cam/dizzy timing - try the search function (if it works).

Basically, the crank pulley has a V notch in it - DO NOT use this mark, but line up the trailing edge of the lug closest to the notch (crank rotates clockwise, so the left hand edge) with the marker on the front cover, the cam pulley pointers should point to each other, and the centre of the rotor arm with the small notch in the dizzy body directly beneath the rotor arm.

see here

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...ghlight=timing
Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
melzieann

this is how i time my engine up :-

bearing in mind mine is a 4x4 so crank may b different but hope this helps u anyway

both cam pulleys have arrows on they should face each other and line up straight with the cylinder head (the line where head meets cam cover)
it sonds to me that ur left camshaft was out of time.

crank is easy make sure the woodruff key is at 12 o clock(pointing straight up)

dissy drive there is an arrow on pulley and a half moon shapped casting behind it on the block line it up smack on half way in the semi circle
if unsure take off diss cap to check, rotary arm should be at number 1

turn engine over twice by hand after belt fitted if it doesnt lock up

turn the key
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
steveandtracy
Virgin

Thanks for your help guys

Hopefully get it back up and running next weekend.

Steve
Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well make sure you use the correct mark on the crank pulley , as i didnt and currently need to take my engine apart

As some one said to me , turn over by hand to make sure everything seels ok , just incase
Old 12-01-2007, 06:19 PM
BIL N KEL

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

left pulley and right pulley the markings should face each other and the dizzy pulley should point towards the cap, the bottom pulley however, you need to line the pickup lug next to the marks on the pulley with the mark on the block. if your still unsure i'll post some pics up tomorrow when i take my engine out
Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BIL N KEL
left pulley and right pulley the markings should face each other and the dizzy pulley should point towards the cap, the bottom pulley however, you need to line the pickup lug next to the marks on the pulley with the mark on the block. if your still unsure i'll post some pics up tomorrow when i take my engine out
correct as many people make this mistake and this is the result(they time it up like a pinto)

ouch

Trending Topics

Old 13-01-2007, 10:16 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shit costinsa , thats what im expecting to see when my heads off
Old 13-01-2007, 02:31 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Why were you trying to take your crank pulley off mate? it doesnt need to come off, do as the boys have described above and you should be fine, and most importantly turn it over by hand first as you dont want what rab mc`s going through

Old 13-01-2007, 03:18 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by rabmc
Shit costinsa , thats what im expecting to see when my heads off
Mine has ran like this for years i,ve had the engine 6 years with no prob BUT that was using a virgin head depends if you bent any valves...

good luck
Old 13-01-2007, 04:56 PM
BIL N KEL

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

here you go mate