Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

2.0 or 2.1 forged zetec engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2.0 or 2.1 forged zetec engine

having a little dilema so to speak of.
basically it's not an rs, but couldn't think of which section to put this in so here goes.
i'm about to order my rods/pistons and bearings from the states and if i go for standard bore of 85mm the items will be shipped this week, if i go for the oversized ones then it'll be 5-6 weeks.
then there is the boring of the block which is only a couple of days turn around, extra cost is only about £100 for the extra capacity.

i'm just after someone saying what is the better option as i've heard that the zetec cylinder walls are already thin without the boring, i'm happy to wait if there is a genuine advantage i'd kick myself over at a later date.

cheers
sean
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

std everytime unless they are damaged, just give the bores a quick hone to break the glaze.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

bores are relaly tidy, but been reading a few things and area six tend to only sell 2.1's as they give 5% extra from just the extra capacity.
obviously mapping allowing for this etc on the same inlet etc.
infact not many 2.0 zetec turbos about.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
bores are relaly tidy, but been reading a few things and area six tend to only sell 2.1's as they give 5% extra from just the extra capacity.
obviously mapping allowing for this etc on the same inlet etc.
infact not many 2.0 zetec turbos about.
When i broke a std piston in my 2 litre running 20 psi lol, i upgraded to wossner forged pistons, the bores were lovely and i believe (this is my opinion) that engines are best left standard sizes, removing metal off of heads, bores, cranks etc is just making them sub-standard and is unnesesary when there is soo many really good examples out there. the whole 2.1 thing is unnesasary on a turbocharged engine, given the choice of boring out or and extra 2 psi boost i would rather the boost. all down to opinion, but dont fuck up a perfectly good engine mate, thats all im saying
Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

The name 2.1 is a bit misleading, if you look at the actual capacity it's 2.045 so less than a 2.5% increase in capacity.

If it's a used block get it bored, the walls between bores are narrow but it tends not to cause any problems. I would only fit standard pistons to a brand new block. With a re-bored block at least you know you've got spotless bore to start with (as long as it's done properly).

Last edited by hogdog; 02-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by hogdog
The name 2.1 is a bit misleading, if you look at the actual capacity it's 2.045 so less than a 2.5% increase in capacity.

If it's a used block get it bored, the walls between bores are narrow but it tends not to cause any problems. I would only fit standard pistons to a brand new block. With a re-bored block at least you know you've got spotless bore to start with (as long as it's done properly).
thats the problem, getting it done right. every zetec bore ive seen is mint, cant see the point IMO
Old 22-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Dennis_Wiseman
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree with Hogdog.

Last year i had a non Ford engine honed with stock sized replacement pistons and its been loosing oil ever since.

Just my opinion but after my experience would definitely go up a size regardless of any power advantage just to get the bores nice and fresh.

Trending Topics

Old 22-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have reservations fitting standard size pistons to standard worn bore. Even honing or glaze breaking removes some material. I would go for the 0.5 oversized to be sure. If it was ok to fit standard size pistons to worn bores the obvious choice would be to fit focus rs pistons and rods for moderate powered engine but this tends not to happen