Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2008 High rpm stuttering and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 22-08-2012, 01:59 PM
columbus autos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2008 High rpm stuttering and stalling

My old man has bought the above focus for taking the dog out occasionally had a little stuttering moment but recently got much worse.

When cold problem appears much more prominent from my test drives today car will rev to about 3000 then start playing up its like fuel cut in a petrol turbo and it cuts the engine completely in some cases and is then difficult to restart occasionally but sometimes fine

There are no codes stored and my laptop is playing up at the moment so hard to get a decent picture of boost pressures and fuel rail pressures.(can't get graphical displays of live data)
Both of which i would imagine bringing up an eml light.

I changed the fuel filter, air filter and gave it a flush and oil change earlier and its still the same.
Gonna have a search around for any split pipes/ broken wires.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated
cheers James

ps engine code is a duratorq hhda
Old 22-08-2012, 07:45 PM
columbus autos

Got my laptop working twas a failed charger thankfully the misses has a similar laptop with i charger i could borrow.
Turns out the omiscan wasn't working with the focus and the delphi kit is working now the laptop is back online.

During my servicing and playing i had run the car with the airflow meter disconnected and discovered the hard way that the car is not self priming when changing the fuel filter - not a major problem manually priming but inconvenient when its already stalled due to air in the fuel.

Codes recorded were as follows:
P0704 Clutch witch input circuit malfunction - intermittent
P0299 Underboost Intermittant
P1632 Smart alternator output circuit - intermittent
P1181 Fuel Delivery System - High - Intermittent
P1180 Fuel Delivery System - Low - Intermittent
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Input - Intermittant
P0100 Mass Air Flow Circuit - Intermittent
P0102 Mass or Volume Air flow circuit low input - Intermittent

I'm hoping the last five are from the playing and fuel filter change described above. I deleted the codes and drove a further 3 miles with it playing up to get no returning codes.
So i drove it home again this evening another 3 miles in that journey it missed from around 2000 rpm all the way through in all gears and stalled 4/5 times whilst driving and the conked out at the base of the hill to my house wouldn't idle or rev for 10 starting attempts. Finally got it started and kangeroo'd up the hill and on to the drive.

Unfortunately didn't bring the delphi home with me so will have to try and get back to the workshop tomorrow to rescan.
Old 23-08-2012, 09:01 AM
columbus autos

Stalled my way back to the workshop this morning and for the first time the car stalled binged and anounced it had an engine malfunction which occurred twice

Codes recovered this morning were fuel pressure related:
P1180 Fuel Delivery System - Low- Permanent
P1181 Fuel Delivery System - High- Intermittent
P0087 Fuel rail System Pressure -Too Low- Permanent

So my babbling from yesterday was all wrong from what i have been told the wiring to the fuel pressure sensor on these 1.6 tdci focus's is a weak point so that will be the first port of call.

Did a live data graph of fuel pressure whilst trying to gently accelerate through the rev range fuel pressure struggled at every miss in some cases dropping off completely.

Max rail pressure recorded was 180000 Kpa when according to my software the max rail pressure should be 1600 bar or 160000 kpa.

The fun thing with this is that the wiper scuttle has to be removed to get any sort of access to the fuel rail.

Better get started the old mans having to use a 307 estate while the focus is off the road and i wouldn't wish that on anyone
Old 23-08-2012, 09:41 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

At least you've got an idea of what's going on. I'd be looking at fuel pressure regulator, could even be the pump itself.
Old 23-08-2012, 01:47 PM
columbus autos

fuel rail pressure regulator is a nightmare to get to so i decided to drop the tank and check there is fuel flow to the high pressure pump.
There is definately no low pressure pump in the tank on this car and the inlet and outlet connections to the fuel systems are flowing plenty of fuel.

So as richie says i'm looking at the rail pressure sensor or the pump itself at the moment. just got to find a way of getting to the rail pressure sensor its is well and truly buried
Old 23-08-2012, 02:07 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If I'd have seen where you are this morning I'd have come and given you a hand as I'm less than 10 minutes from Devizes and I've been sat at home twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do all day
Old 23-08-2012, 02:53 PM
columbus autos

well since i haven't really achieved much today with the focus gonna have to stop mincing around and start dismantling stuff until i can get access to the fuel rail pressure sensor.

Richie would have welcomed your help i'm actually in market lavington don't know if thats actually any further from you?

Trending Topics

Old 23-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Big mick s
Virgin

[QUOTE=columbus autos;6017896]well since i haven't really achieved much today with the focus gonna have to stop mincing around and start dismantling stuff until i can get access to the fuel rail pressure sensor.

Richie would have welcomed your help i'm actually in market lavington don't know if thats actually any further from you?[/
Old 23-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Big mick s
Virgin

I had same problem with customers car focus 08 1600 diesel . Thair are two sensors on common rail one is the fuel rail pressure sensor the other is at other end of rail witch you can not buy sepprit you have to buy the rail at a cost of Ł235.00 dealers witch was causing the fault . Fitted rail jobs a good one be happy man life is sweet . Big mick s
Old 23-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Big mick s
Virgin

Dealers sold seven common rails in my aria last year on 08 1600 diesels because of this fault looking like a common fault
Old 29-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Alex Vinceller
Virgin

Default Problems

Originally Posted by columbus autos
fuel rail pressure regulator is a nightmare to get to so i decided to drop the tank and check there is fuel flow to the high pressure pump.
There is definately no low pressure pump in the tank on this car and the inlet and outlet connections to the fuel systems are flowing plenty of fuel.

So as richie says i'm looking at the rail pressure sensor or the pump itself at the moment. just got to find a way of getting to the rail pressure sensor its is well and truly buried
trying to clean plugs from all sensors especially the ramp with contact spray. just happened to me with my focus. Besides got off the flow sensor and I cleaned with gasoline because it was dirty. After this has given way and then go ok. k mention I changed the pump controller high and just clean the sensor on the ramp. try these options and see what happens. no need for a car mechanic.