Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus MK1 Zetec 1.8 TDCI 115ps smoking!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
jelly-monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Focus MK1 Zetec 1.8 TDCI 115ps smoking!

Hi,

I bought my 2003 reg Focus in April 2011. I had been sat for about 6 months and when I bought it, it had done less than 22k miles!!!

When I bought it I got new:
Battery
Air/diesel filter
Oil change
Cambelt/tensioners
and probably some other stuff (my dads a mechanic and did it all)

however it smokes. Like thick black smoke. It smokes when:
In 1st, 2nd, 3rd (sometimes 4th) and in low revs (1k to 2k) it will be smoking, even when accelerating slowly. Then the turbo hits and it shits out a load of smoke.
It is usually worse in 1st and 2nd. Sometimes if I put my foot down in 1st I can leave a black line on the road!!!
Another example is, if I'm in 2nd at 1700/1800 revs and put my foot down. As soon as the turbo kicks in, lots of smoke comes out.

It has passed MOT and we have checked the air pipes around the intercooler and they are fine.

However it doesn't do it all the time. =S

I have recently starting travelling 70 miles a day, the mileage has just ticked over 31k.

We have exhausted all options, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by jelly-monster; 03-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it using any oil ?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

EGR valves cause a lot of bother on these, could be worth looking at.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
jelly-monster

Originally Posted by uruk hai
Is it using any oil ?
Yes? I'm not sure what you mean here.

It had a oil change about a year ago, with the right oil. It's due another soon. And oil levels are fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM
jelly-monster

Originally Posted by RichieST
EGR valves cause a lot of bother on these, could be worth looking at.
I will look at this. Something I didn't mention was I'm getting just under 45 mpg. Which I thought was quite low as I do the majority of travel on motorways =S
Old 30-07-2012, 07:53 PM
jelly-monster

Just an update. Before my latest fuel fill-up I used half a can of EGR cleaner then the other half a few days later. I have noticed that it is less smokey, but still not great.

I had a look at removing the EGR and giving it a proper clean, but it looks a nightmare? Does anyone have experience on this?

It's going to be serviced this week (hopefully) and I'll put another can of EGR cleaner through after we've done the service.

Another thing I have noticed is the turbo seems to cut in quite late (maybe a symptom of EGR problems). Like in 1st I can sometimes get up to 2800rpm before it kicks in, about 2200rpm in second, then normal for the rest. What can I do to improve this? Any tips?

Lastly, would anyone recommend doing anything to the engine to improve it? Not talking massive turbos etc. Just because it was sat unused for over half a year, maybe parts need a good clean? Idk.

Any response would be great =)
Old 30-07-2012, 08:48 PM
uruk hai

Until you sort out the problem I wouldn't do anything to it but if you do get it sorted you could consider a remap, not had one on mine but I hear it makes the car better all round with little or no change to the economy. Just don’t go for too big an increase or you could end up with premature failure of the Turbo, injectors or flywheel !

I did have a bit of a problem with mine (not saying that’s your problem) and here are the symptoms !

Car starts fine but some times as soon as I move off I can feel something’s not quite right, car is very sluggish and the throttle has to be pushed down considerably further than usual to get it to pick up ? Once I’m moving the car drives fine if a bit unresponsive, then without warning and with no further movement of the throttle the car will start to pick up and gain speed up to a certain point. From now on the car will drive and accelerate as it should but only up to about 3200 – 3500 rpm, from this point on it feels as though the car is wading through custard and it creeps (and I mean creeps !) toward the red line. Once another gear is selected the same thing happens and it again only revs freely to the above figures.

The car has also been using more fuel than usual but not a shocking amount, this can happen from stone cold or if the car is up to normal temperature but either way it never revs cleanly past about 3200 revs.

The problem turned out to be the Turbo control solenoid and once changed it instantly drove like a different car, after it was fixed the car would rev freely up to and past the red line. For the first few days it was smoking but once it was reving and pulling cleanly it cleared out quite a bit of smoke which obviously built up while the car wasn't running right.

Trending Topics

Old 30-07-2012, 09:06 PM
jelly-monster

That sounds very much like my car. Very easy to stall when it's first started, then once it's warmed up you can drop the clutch like no tomorrow!

Can you tell me how much this cost? And how easy it is to replace? Did you do it yourself? And would a OBDII computer find this fault?
Old 31-07-2012, 06:24 PM
jelly-monster

On the tank just gone, I got just over 42MPG. That is mostly motorway driving!

It was city supermarket diesel if that makes a difference? I've just filled up with Premium Diesel to see if that makes a difference.

But 42MPG just seems really low.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:42 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I wouldn't advise supermarket fuel, although it all comes from the same refinery, branded fuels have additives in them which the supermarket fuels do not have. I've always got better MPG and smoother running using branded fuels than supermarket.

Definately try removing the EGR valve and cleaning it as it will be a lot more effective than a can of additive for the fuel tank. You can get blanking plates off of ebay to remove the problem all together, maybe try one of these.

Last edited by RichieST; 31-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:18 PM
jelly-monster

I wouldn't advise supermarket fuel, although it all comes from the same refinery, branded fuels have additives in them which the supermarket fuels do not have. I've always got better MPG and smoother running using branded fuels than supermarket.

Definately try removing the EGR valve and cleaning it as it will be a lot more effective than a can of additive for the fuel tank. You can get blanking plates off of ebay to remove the problem all together, maybe try one of these.
I'm not really up for blanking it off. I would prefer it to be working/clean. How do you remove this? From what I can see it looks like a nightmare to remove!
Old 31-07-2012, 07:26 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just blank the egr they do nothing but cause trouble on tdci's.
Mine has been blanked for just over 2 years now because i had issues like yourself when i first bought my car. The egr on our model focus is part of the inlet manifold and not a 2 min job to remove and clean.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:36 PM
jelly-monster

Originally Posted by syko2005
Just blank the egr they do nothing but cause trouble on tdci's.
Mine has been blanked for just over 2 years now because i had issues like yourself when i first bought my car. The egr on our model focus is part of the inlet manifold and not a 2 min job to remove and clean.
Yeah, I thought that much.

I think blanking this would be the very last resort. I'll try another can of EGR cleaner when I do the service. If that doesn't work I'll think about blanking.

Has anyone got anymore input regarding the Turbo Controller Solenoid that uruk hai mentioned?
Old 31-07-2012, 07:44 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest squirting some egr cleaner is going to do naff all. The gunk that builds up inside the egr and inlet is unreal. Even if it does free the egr. It will be sticking again within a few weeks.
It causes no harm blanking it.
It wont fail an mot, it is just useless emissions crap that dosent work properly and clogs up.
We are lucky in the fact that we can blank ours without any managment light flashing up.
It costs nothing to blank it up. If it doesnt fix the issue unblank it then spend money on a turbo control solenoid. I would rule out the cheap/cost nothing things first, before spending money on parts that might not even fix your problem.

Last edited by syko2005; 31-07-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:56 PM
jelly-monster

Originally Posted by syko2005
To be honest squirting some egr cleaner is going to do naff all. The gunk that builds up inside the egr and inlet is unreal. Even if it does free the egr. It will be sticking again within a few weeks.
It causes no harm blanking it.
It wont fail an mot, it is just useless emissions crap that dosent work properly and clogs up.
We are lucky in the fact that we can blank ours without any managment light flashing up.
It costs nothing to blank it up. If it doesnt fix the issue unblank it then spend money on a turbo control solenoid. I would rule out the cheap/cost nothing things first, before spending money on parts that might not even fix your problem.
Sounds like a plan, I'll take a look on eBay see what one I need.
Old 14-08-2012, 07:09 PM
jelly-monster

Ok, I feel silly now =(

Finally got round to ordering the plate, received it today =)

Looking at the EGR, I can see that there is a pipe coming from the bottom of it with the same shape as the EGR plate.

Which end of this pipe do I attach it to? Both end look pretty awkward to get to, the part by the EGR looks more difficult to get to, but looks more like where it needs to go.

Can anyone give me a hand? I would quite like to fit it tonight =)
Old 14-08-2012, 07:25 PM
jim_jamie_3
PassionFord Regular

id say its defeintly a egr problem matey, had the exact problem on a 04 plate i had, egr was knackerd, blanking plate sorted it.

i have a spare plate as i orderd to by mistake, if your local you can come and have it, its just sitting in my tool box

or il pop it in the post if u fancy paying for it?

im in dagenham if it helps
Old 14-08-2012, 07:29 PM
jim_jamie_3
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by jelly-monster
Ok, I feel silly now =(

Finally got round to ordering the plate, received it today =)

Looking at the EGR, I can see that there is a pipe coming from the bottom of it with the same shape as the EGR plate.

Which end of this pipe do I attach it to? Both end look pretty awkward to get to, the part by the EGR looks more difficult to get to, but looks more like where it needs to go.

Can anyone give me a hand? I would quite like to fit it tonight =)
sorry posted before i read this! lol
Old 14-08-2012, 07:39 PM
jelly-monster

Originally Posted by jim_jamie_3
id say its defeintly a egr problem matey, had the exact problem on a 04 plate i had, egr was knackerd, blanking plate sorted it.

i have a spare plate as i orderd to by mistake, if your local you can come and have it, its just sitting in my tool box

or il pop it in the post if u fancy paying for it?

im in dagenham if it helps
Thanks anyway =)

It looks like one of the bolts is rusted so I can't remove it =(

I'll see if my dad has a chance to look at it tomorrow. I've shed too much blood for one night XD
Old 15-08-2012, 05:33 PM
uruk hai

Originally Posted by jelly-monster
That sounds very much like my car. Very easy to stall when it's first started, then once it's warmed up you can drop the clutch like no tomorrow!

Can you tell me how much this cost? And how easy it is to replace? Did you do it yourself? And would a OBDII computer find this fault?
Sorry for the late reply, been having my PC updated !

It cost about £70, it's a doddle to replace and takes about 10 minutes, I did do it myself and I had a full diagnostic check and it never showed up !

What area are you in mate ?

Last edited by uruk hai; 15-08-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 15-08-2012, 05:44 PM
jelly-monster

So, had my car serviced today and the plate installed.

It has made a massive difference in the lower revs! No smoke anymore and no waiting the turbo to kick in! I have only driven it 35miles so far, but I swear it's using slightly more l/h diesel. But I might be imagining things.

Also, just so I understand. I have now block exhaust fumes being recycled back into the engine? Meaning more exhaust air flow? Meaning turbo kicks in sooner? Meaning it could maybe cause damage to my turbo?
I might be chatting BS as my knowledge on this is low, but if someone could clarify it would be great =)
Old 15-08-2012, 06:03 PM
trudtfish
Part of the Furniture

Dude relax! You worry too much! Egr valves are a pain in the arse! If its running better then stop worrying and enjoy it! Your turbo will be fine!
Old 16-08-2012, 01:40 PM
uruk hai

I wouldn't advise supermarket fuel.
I've been using supermarket fuel for over 3 years and apart from the one listed I've had no problems what so ever !