Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

diesel leak hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM
rich1969
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel leak hell!!!

i recently bought a 1.4 tdci fiesta on a 04 plate. just after i bought it i noticed the smell of diesel coming through the vents. i called the dealer i bought it off and he took it to his garage. leaking return pipe he says. fixed it, bought it back. used it the next day and after a short trip diesel started leaking again! more this time! he took it back to his garage again. injector seals he says. fixed it and bought it back. used it that day, come out the next morning to diesel everywhere again!! he took it back again and apparently replaced the diesel rail or something. all new parts everywhere! now it's leaking again!!! pissed off now, very pissed off! what can this 'so-called' mechanic be missing?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this on my Fiesta TDCI 1.4, diesel went fucking everywhere!

The fuel return clip kept coming off injector no.1 (drivers side) and wanking fuel everywhere. Was a very fiddly job (used long nose pliers and long small flat headed screw-driver) but i changed the clip and cleaned the joint up and put back together with a bit of sealent and fingers crossed it's been ok
Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if he has replaced the injector washers he will need to re cut the seats for the seals in the cylinder head or they will not stay sealed for more than a few minutes the cutting tool can be bought on ebay for Ł30 i was at one point doing the injector seals on these engines be it a ford or peugeot (same engine) on a weekly basis and i have never had one start leaking again after re cutting the seats
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if it is the injector seals you can actually hear them leaking as well as they will give a sound like pressure escaping on every stroke of the piston so you get like a chuff chuff chuff sound lol
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 AM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by botters
if he has replaced the injector washers he will need to re cut the seats for the seals in the cylinder head or they will not stay sealed for more than a few minutes the cutting tool can be bought on ebay for Ł30 i was at one point doing the injector seals on these engines be it a ford or peugeot (same engine) on a weekly basis and i have never had one start leaking again after re cutting the seats
yeah like he said. injector seats need to be as clean as poss for new seals to sit and seal properly.done a fair few of these at peugeot/citroen and ford
Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM
matts zetec s tdci
Regular Contributor

mine was leaking when the fuel filter wasent fitted on right mines a 1.6 though if its any help.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

They have a mass of plastic pipe work that goes tits up. It's circa Ł100 for them but usually sorts them. I've done plenty of injector seals etc too. Pretty simple aswell so his mechanic must be a complete fucktard.
Old 13-04-2014, 01:21 PM
sheenatron
Virgin

I'm also in diesel leak hell at the moment with my 2005 Fiesta TDCi.

About a year ago I had leaky injector seals, so had these replaced. As soon as I left the garage my car was leaking diesel from underneath. It took about six visits to the garage before they finally sorted the problem citing various problems including fuel return pipes and suchlike.

All of a sudden the other day a bit of smoke was coming out of my bonnet and yet again, a huge pool of diesel underneath the car.

A different garage had a look and said they found 'a few loose parts' and sorted out a loose pipe. On the way to work from that garage, yet again diesel was leaking out of my car. Took it to yet another garage - they fixed a loose pipe. And again, today, YET AGAIN another fuel leak.

I am honestly losing the will to live. I can't hear anything, the engine sounds fine, but when I'm driving I can smell diesel and see vapour out my back window as the leaking fuel gets sucked under the car and swirls out the back.

Is the loose pipe thing a red herring and the problem the fuel injector seals? Is it likely they've been fine for a year and then all of a sudden start doing this?

Thanks very much!
Old 13-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

This is what happens when ford put other manufacturers engines in there cars. These engines give ford a bad name lol
Old 13-04-2014, 03:46 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The injector seals don't leak diesel when they go, they just sound like a steam train as the combustion blows past. The return pipes do leak diesel. People usually put the clips in the wrong way round because it's easier, but they are designed to fit from the cylinder head side. See this a lot with 1.8's as well. I've never had to recut the injector seat and I've never had one come back. I think the 1.4 is a cracking engine. The only thing we've ever had go wrong with them is injector seals and return pipes,and none have returned after being fixed.
Old 13-04-2014, 03:49 PM
sheenatron
Virgin

Thank you DangerousBryan, that's good to know. It's the only real problem I've had with my car in 180,000 miles, but it's so frustrating that three or four different garages have 'fixed' this loose pipe, only for the problem to keep recurring. It's driving me mad!