Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

ST170 engine in a mk5 Fiesta Zetec S

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
chris1987
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST170 engine in a mk5 Fiesta Zetec S

Is this possible?

Im thinking of buying a fiesta and giving this ago its something different from the usual 1.7 puma engine.

Ive seen fiestas powered by duratec RS before.

So Just wondered what mounts, looms ect to use or were to get custom ones made.

Help will be much appreciated

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

Anythings possible, pretty sure i've seen one in there, can't think where though. Custom mounts, maybe somewhere like Vibra Technics, very good engine mounts i've never had a problem with them. You'd use ST170 loom and ECU.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

or standalone/aftermarket management
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
chris1987

What about the 6 speed gearbox tho will that fit in?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

Not sure, i'd put a BC Box on it.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Adam31
Waiting on my fast ford..

Its been done a few times now. Custom mounts required and prob better to run it on aftermarket ECU. The box does fit but requires custom driveshafts, it'll cost a few quid but as you said different from the norm.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM
chris1987

Thanks for the info so far.

Can anyone recommend any good places that will make the mounts for me and were could i get a after market ecu from?

@ChrisH Whats a BC Box mate?

Are the brakes easy to convert aswell like the drums into disks just change the hubs ect?

Trending Topics

Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Adam31
Waiting on my fast ford..

Chris I have recntly seen a MK5 fiesta converted to ST170 engine and gearbox at Sitech Racing, Perthshire. It is running bike throttle bodies and keeps the standard brake servo(usually it would be removed due to the size of the gearbox). I believe Simon and Nick just modified the ST170 engine mount and made up a lower rear torque mount from scratch.

The rear brakes can be swapped easily aswell if you don't want to keep the ABS, you need MK1 focus rear hubs, spindles, calipers and carriers(I paid Ł90 for mine) and they bolt straight on to the fiesta axle.

Hope this helps. Give Simon a ring at Sitech...very helpfull guy and will talk you through what you need and give you approx costs etc....

Adam
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by Adam31
Chris I have recntly seen a MK5 fiesta converted to ST170 engine and gearbox at Sitech Racing, Perthshire. It is running bike throttle bodies and keeps the standard brake servo(usually it would be removed due to the size of the gearbox). I believe Simon and Nick just modified the ST170 engine mount and made up a lower rear torque mount from scratch.

The rear brakes can be swapped easily aswell if you don't want to keep the ABS, you need MK1 focus rear hubs, spindles, calipers and carriers(I paid Ł90 for mine) and they bolt straight on to the fiesta axle.

Hope this helps. Give Simon a ring at Sitech...very helpfull guy and will talk you through what you need and give you approx costs etc....

Adam
Nice one for that mate,

Im getting excited on doing this now lol I have a focus st170 and i think there rapid but despite the trouble ive had with mine they seem good reliable engines as mines still going.

Will be on here later?

Thanks again
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

A BC Box is a type of gearbox.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a supercharged 2.0 blacktop in a mk4 fiesta. Almost the same job in terms of fitment. I cut and welded the inner wing so I could mount the focus engine mount on the osf
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Churtz

I've got a supercharged 2.0 blacktop in a mk4 fiesta. Almost the same job in terms of fitment. I cut and welded the inner wing so I could mount the focus engine mount on the osf. If u use a mk4 fiesta box casing, and just update the internals the rear engine mount and gearbox mount can be reused. Also this means u can use original driveshafts.

Run aftermarket ecu definately to save a massive wiring headache and to unlock some more power.

Matt
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by Churtz
I've got a supercharged 2.0 blacktop in a mk4 fiesta. Almost the same job in terms of fitment. I cut and welded the inner wing so I could mount the focus engine mount on the osf. If u use a mk4 fiesta box casing, and just update the internals the rear engine mount and gearbox mount can be reused. Also this means u can use original driveshafts.

Run aftermarket ecu definately to save a massive wiring headache and to unlock some more power.

Matt
Might sound a really dumb ass question (Awaits abuse lol)

But whats a aftermarket ECU were would i get one from and how much am i looking at for one?

cheers for the reply
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

There are lots of different ECU's on the market. DTA, Emerald, OMEX, Megasquirt (probably one of the cheapest) etc. An after market ECU is something you can have mapped to suit the engine you have, for instance if you put cams, throttle bodies etc on a lets say Zetec engine, the standard ECU and Map are no good for it because the fueling etc doesn't match up anymore, so you get an aftermarket one and have it mapped to your engine. (Expensive though)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Churtz

Originally Posted by ChrisH
There are lots of different ECU's on the market. DTA, Emerald, OMEX, Megasquirt (probably one of the cheapest) etc. An after market ECU is something you can have mapped to suit the engine you have, for instance if you put cams, throttle bodies etc on a lets say Zetec engine, the standard ECU and Map are no good for it because the fueling etc doesn't match up anymore, so you get an aftermarket one and have it mapped to your engine. (Expensive though)
There you go!! Ha. Answered!

Although it doesn't have to be expensive. I mapped a couple of cars now myself with my netbook.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM
chris1987

Just been looking at some on ebay i sort of get it now lol

So....

Custom engine mounts (What price would i be looking at for those? can someone recommend anyone who does a good job aswell )

Aftermarket ECU

And use the ST170 wiring looms ect

Brakes seem easy enough.

Sounds like its going to be a headache of a job but ill give it ago
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by Churtz

Matt
Or ill try this with the mounts.

After its all wired have i got to get it mapped then when it all wired ecu and engine is in ect?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Churtz

Yeh the mapping is the final bit. The fitting of the mount wasn't too bad if your handy with a welder.

Matt
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

We use Vibra Techincs engine mounts, ones never broken on us (Including a couple of rolls) You wont be able to use an ST170 loom with an aftermarket ECU as the main plug wont be the same.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
chris1987

I think im just going to use the normal ST170 ECU in replace for the zetec s ECU. I just want the engine for now maybe when its in and running right ill go down the Aftermarket ECU Root so will this be ok for now using the ST170 ecu?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM
cypressbill

i like this thread
Old 05-08-2016, 07:38 AM
mattxr3i
PassionFord Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good little project but I think you also need to consider:
* Loom, the ST170 ECU and loom will be completely different to what is already there, what is your wiring like?

* Engine mount for the blacktop is different to that of the silvertop. What are you like at welding

* If using the 6speed or MTX75 you will need to make up some custom mounts and start adjusting the chassis rail (Careful here as you may affect strength)

* DriveShafts when using the 6 speed or MTX75 will need to be custom made as the length will be all wrong (few hundred quid)

* If you don't use the 6speed or MTX75 you will need to find the clutch and flywheel off a BC/IB5 Zetec box as the ST one is a DMF and is the wrong size for the BC box. ALso be aware that the BC\IB5 box is quite weak so if you drive it hard be prepared for a lot changing

* Exhaust is at the front of the engine rather than at the back so you will have to customise the exhaust to some degree. You may find inspiration from the MK3 RS1800 as that is the closest to what you are trying to achieve.

* Coolant pipes will need to be adjusted for the Fiesta

Considering that the ST170 motor averages around 155bhp and the cost of the above if you can't do much yourself, have you considered the 1.7 Puma engine with Racing Puma parts to bring it up to 155 to 160bhp? You won't have quite so much torque but the 1.7 revs better and it is lighter so won't feel so nose heavy as the car with the st170 engine.

Last edited by mattxr3i; 05-08-2016 at 07:39 AM.