Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

hard drive recovery...

Search this Thread

Old 29-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard drive recovery...

Anyone know any good free programs I can use to try and recover data off a fooked hard drive?

I got back from my honeymoon and the hard drive went on my main PC. I wouldn't be bothered but it had a lot of music on there and the wife's coursework

I've tried putting the drive in this PC, it scans it then tells me there are a lot of errors then won't load windows so I'm at a loss as to what to do next apart from trying a recovery program...
Old 30-05-2007, 08:43 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put the drive in as a second drive, set the jumper setting to slave (this is near the cable that plugs into the drive) then, once in windows, try and access it. If it's making a clicking noise then it's fucked, if it doesn't detect, then it's fucked.
Old 30-05-2007, 10:59 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Put the drive in as a second drive, set the jumper setting to slave (this is near the cable that plugs into the drive) then, once in windows, try and access it. If it's making a clicking noise then it's fucked, if it doesn't detect, then it's fucked.
agree with this. the jumper is a little plastic clip at the back of the drive about the size of an icon in your system tray (very very small). try doing a disk check on it whilst it being a secondary drive. go into command prompt and type chkdsk x: (replace the x with the drive letter on your hard drive, typically c, d or e)
Old 30-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've put it in as a secondary drive but I've got the jumper on cable select

It detects it, does a disc check and comes up with a load of bad sectors then won't load windows...
Old 31-05-2007, 10:42 PM
MikeyXR2i
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As said above try slaving the drive to a "Working operating system to access it but..... If the Partition is damaged it won't access it.
When mine went down completely, (Drive would still spin though) I got a Program called Active UN-Delete, let it scan my bad drive all night on a Deep scan, and i recovered everything