Wheels and Tyres Wheels and Tyres for all Ford's

Winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Winter tyres

Is anyone running winter tyres yet? Bought a set of winter wheels for the daily at the end of October and i don't think it's cold enough yet
Old 01-01-2016, 12:12 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I woudnt fit them until you see regular ice or snow, i've got a set for my car,
They are great in bad conditions but they are terrible for grip when its dry or even just a little wet,
Got my usual wheels back on just now and the differance is very noticable
Will wait till the weather takes a turn for the worse before they go back on again
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Been running them for over 25 years ,very underated in this country ,use them as we drive out to the alps a lot ,normally fit them on in october through to april,tried a few different makes in that time, and by far the best are the michlein alpins,you will be surprised how well they cope in the snowy conditions ,all the chaos on our roads in the snow is due to people not having them (when do you see that chaos in mainland europe in the snow !!!! )
Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie's
They are great in bad conditions but they are terrible for grip when its dry or even just a little wet,
Will wait till the weather takes a turn for the worse before they go back on again
What make tyres are you running, as mine are spot on in in the conditions you mention
Old 01-01-2016, 12:41 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Conti's, great in snow/ice,
But polar opposite in good weather
Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out he the Michelin cross climate tyre!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Not put mine on still as weathers been warm here, up until thismorning, will probaby swap over at the weekend now

Got Nankangs ( don't laugh ) SV2s, and they are spot on in the cold, hardly ever see that traction control light on when normal driving in the wet and cold damp icey conditions!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a set in the shed I usually put on the car around Dec and come off again Feb-Mar, but it hasn't been cold enough this year to bother. You don't need to wait till regular snow or ice to shoe them on, just when it's regularly below 7 deg C - and so far it's only dipped below 7 a few times, at least round my way
Old 01-01-2016, 02:01 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by jamie's
Yours must be snow tyres then not all round winters? I've used winters before and theyve been excellent once the temps get down in wet or dry
Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Mine are Uniroyal "Plus 66 M+S" tyres - the M and S standing for mud and snow. But being Uniroyal, they are stupendously good in the wet, and below 7 deg, they feel safer and more planted than my regular Hankook V12 tyres
Old 02-01-2016, 03:47 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

the chaos here in the snow is only a tiny percent blamable on lack of winter tyre use. Its mostly due to fucktard driving skills of british drivers who seem to loose all ability to use the controls the second a bit of white stuff hits the ground.

Winter tyres wont help retard drivers so wouldnt make a difference here.

Only takes one retard sat with the accelarator mashed in the carpet and wheels spinning with engine bouncing off the limiter wondering why they are going nowhere to bring a road to a standstill.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I don't think anyone has said that accidents are lessened and driver skills are increased by the use of winter tyres. Least if they have, I've missed it.

From my point of view, if it shows where I live, chances are I'll never get my car out and up to the main road, on account of it being block paving that is never gritted, and it being a 90deg turn out of my parking space directly up a hill. And if I did make it to the main road, I have another hill to clear before getting out of the suburbs. So for me, the winter tyres make the difference between being able to use my car or not. Granted, it might only snow for a couple days per year, although we have seen snow fall and last for much longer than that, but as I've already mentioned, the snow is only part of their use. They are much more sure footed in the lower temperatures, and infinitely better in the wet, which we get a lot of over winter too.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 PM
It's Czech Mate

As above they are not snow tyres but winter ones, so more grip, better braking and traction below 7 degrees and obvs better in the snow and ice

I commute mainly on country lanes and my house and drive is on a hill so I won't be able to use the car in the snow unless fitted (now my daily is a 3 series )