Wheels and Tyres Wheels and Tyres for all Ford's

Help please !!

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2014, 05:14 PM
TonyDock
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please !!

Hello everyone. Im slowly doing my transit connect up. Im having a little problem though.

I brought some 18" ST alloys with 225/40/18 tyres. The problem im having is the tyres are rubbing on my suspention arms during all driving not just turning.

Im not very clued up on technical terms, please can you dumb yourselves down for me

Cheers
TD
Old 29-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

If the inside edge of the tyre is rubbing on the suspension strut/damper it sounds like all you need are some 2mm or 3mm wheel spacers (which go between the hub and wheel) to move the wheel out from the suspension strut.

If it is the tyre tread that is rubbing on the bottom of the suspension cup that the spring sits in then a little modification of the spring cup is required if all you need is a couple of mm clearance on the adage of it?

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by Ridgey; 29-09-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 29-09-2014, 07:03 PM
TonyDock
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

To what i can see its the actual arm rubbing on the inside of the tyre. I read somewhere about spacers but alot of people saying there not very stable or strong. Is that the only way around it
Old 29-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

All you'll need by the sounds of it is a set of 3mm spacers, they are cheap and not an issue.
You'll have to check that the wheel then doesn't rub the arches

I've been running exactly the same as described 3mm spacers on my gunmetal wheels (as in my sig below), on and off the track for the last 7 yrs without any issues