Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

xr2i running prob

Search this Thread

Old 25-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default xr2i running prob

Firstly its a 1.6 8v

Right had an ongoing prob and its getting on my tits now!!!

Basically can get the car started, but it'll idle for a few seconds then die.

The only way i can get it to start then idle and not stall is disconnect the vacuum hose going to the map sensor.

IF i gently press the throttle the rev's rise but you can hear its not quite revving right, almost like a slight miss-fire but the does rev all the same.

But if i blip the throttle its doesnt like it and sounds like its backfireing and tries to stall unless u back off, usually around 1-2k revs more than anything.

Ive tried 2 different map sensors and a differnet ECU and another EIDIS sensor and various outher sensors like the TPS but its still doing it

Also took the inlet off and found the head to manifold gasket was fooked around the temp sensor so hoped it was just an air leak but its still doin it now its back together!!

Works better than it did before when i was trying to sort it a mont or so ago but as above still isnt the same, found out the garage i took it 2 had unplugged the water temp sensor and left it off which is why i couldnt even start it before

Any other idea apreciated
Old 25-11-2005, 08:52 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know a fantastic amount about these yet im currently researching EFI for a conversion, slowly learning.

I'd say give the Flywheel position sensor a check, and a clean they get quite dirty and i believe this affects the operation, that sensor being a key one to starting the car, without it the igniton wont spark at the right time.

Check it by unplugging it and connecting a volt meter, SET TO AC VOLTS, across the terminals and turn the car over, you should get a voltage. The voltage depends on speed. If thats ok try the coil pack aswell.

Although if it runs its unlikely to be that.

Try the crank sensor first

ill see if i can find out anymore
Old 25-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers mate, thinking about its 1 of the only sensors i havnt changed or tried another of, but i did take it out and clean it so deff isnt dirty, could be fooked thou so worth a try!

Other than that cant think for the life of me what it could be Deff gotta be electical thou so.
Old 26-11-2005, 04:09 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always the last thing you try...

You could try testing it although from the problem you are having it sounds like the fault wont be detectable on cranking.

Hopefully you can get a spare one cheap?

Ive got loads of EFI spares been stripping all the cars at the local scrappy ready for the conversion. Never have too many spares I'd say it was electrical too cant be a lot else? If the problem persists i wouldnt overlook the injectors either?

let me know how you get on