Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

s2 turbo engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 PM
RSandy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2 turbo engine issues

ok, basically, when driving recently, i keep having the same problem. 4 no apparent reason the lifters just run dry, maybe 1 or multiple, i dnt kno, but it makes a large tapping noise, which can b cured by turning off and adding a bit of oil to the engine

the engine has plenty of oil, the engine gave consistent reading in a compression test, and there is absolutely no knocking frm the bottom end, so i assume this eliminates big end bearings and rings??

it does smoke a lot frm start up but this is dwn to dodgy valve stem seals and turbo seals i think, which im replacing very soon

so, any ideas y my lifters run dry? i dnt want to replace things 1 by 1 and get no joy, cos my budget doesnt really allow 4 this.

the only noise i hear is the noise frm the lifter/tappet wen it runs dry which then clears up after causing a bit of a misfire, then the engien is generally quiet aside frm being a tad more tappety than others iv heard

any ideas or input wud b appreciated
Old 04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
GrimmeRS2K

blocked oil ways in the head

oil pressure tested at 2k should be 2.8bar on a standard oil pump

using the right oil?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 PM
b13nde
Regular Contributor

i would same maybe oil pump pick up pipe is loose what oil you useing
Old 05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
RSandy

its running 10/40 grade oil atm, castrol gtx, not the magnatec variety tho as iv heard it can block oil ways, altho im guessin they r blocked anyways frm wot u r saying!!! lol

so is this more than likely going to b a head of check up and clean up job to remedy?

could it b a dodgy oil pump as a possibility?

i do not kno the history of the engine as it is a conversion, i kno the head was new, but the bottom end was just a 2nd hand unit, no mileage confirmation
Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 PM
GrimmeRS2K

also is worth checking that oil pump pick up pipe,

theres a small gasket in between the pipe and strainer, this can sometimes fail and lose oil pressure up to the head, but its more likely to fail all together.

try the cheapest bit first, if its was me i would get a oil pressure gauge and test the pressure, and look at the gauge when the tapping noise kicks in, if the pressure drops at the tapping, its properly the oil not making it to the head

oil pumps arent that hard to change, about 60 quid for a pump, could try this first, or wip the sump off and check out that oil pick up pipe
Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
RSandy

wel iv had trouble with sump gaskets blowing aswel, n im being told im gettin blow by sumhow.

my theory now is im fed up of breakin dwn so im goin to rebuild the bottom end. found mahle pistons, the .29 oversized items, for 239 quid a set with rings, then a bearing set, big end and main, h/d variety for 90

basiclaly im going with the theory if i replace evrything it shud remedy the problem, if not i shal cry and sell up!!!! lol