Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

brakes alter revs

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2005, 11:28 AM
mark2
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes alter revs

hi all
had a problem with the brakes on my series2 still with abs by which i had to pump twice to get very firm braking and as i still had the old rubber lines in the circuit i bought braided hose for the car and fitted them and after a total rebleed of hole system i still have the problem but i have noticed that the revs increase about 100 to 150 rmp , when braking from 50 mph the pedal goes nearly to the floor and if i back off and put my foot back on the brake it only goes down about half the distance but if i pump again it gets no better , i have rebleed the hole system 5 more times even removed the rear cossie calipers and held them up in the wheel arches and bleed them but no differance to braking could this be the servo
the master cylinder has been replaced about 5 months ago with a new one also i have checked the loading valves on the back and they are working fine how i came to this conclusion is was by altering the adjuster braket on them in different position to measure how much fluid past through them and got equal results with the test ie fully open with high volume of fluid and nearly closed low volume of fluid .
is there a way i can check the servo to see if it is at fault so if any of you fine people can help with some info i would be grateful
mark2
Old 19-04-2005, 10:19 PM
GrimmeRS2K
Advanced PassionFord User

one thing, take the abs off its shit and dont work

the other thing is that, the brake servo is connected to intel manifold, so i notice on mine on full boost my brake pedal is non-existant! as the turbos sucked it all!

other thing the servo could be faulty, normally leads to your problem
Old 20-04-2005, 04:28 PM
mark2
PassionFord Regular

hi
cheers for that
i was told that if the servo was faulty it would make brake pedal harder with less braking
do you know how to check a servo for faults or do i have to get it put on a trailer and take to a garage or is there a way?
also i have replaced the servo to inlet manifold breather with the check valve but still have problem
any body know of a test
mark2
Old 20-04-2005, 04:51 PM
GrimmeRS2K

i would of thought if the servo was leaking there would be little pressure on the pedal hence why it goes down to the floor, had the problem on my old xr3i and it was that!., they cant be expensive get a couple from the scrapyard for a tenner each if that and try it.
Old 20-04-2005, 05:23 PM
mark2
PassionFord Regular

hi
the servo helps to make it easier to push brakes ,try this ,take off the breather from the servo to the inlet and start the engine and then put your foot on the brake and see how hard it is to brake the vacum generated in the engine which attaches to the sevo helps to draw it in to help braking effort less work but i will replace the servo with new one to give me somthink to do saturday because it looksa bit tatty
mark2
Old 20-04-2005, 05:52 PM
GrimmeRS2K

other than that are the brakes bleed properly?
Old 20-04-2005, 09:48 PM
davidreader5
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,
Have you tried another mastercylinder as sounds like you still have air in the system,

Dave r
Old 20-04-2005, 10:03 PM
davidreader5
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,

Just looked at your post again, and see you have tried master cylinder,

do you still have the RS brake load valves at the rear end, if so when you bleed
the rear brakes have the weight of the car on the lower arms to open the valves.
but does sound like the master cylinder seal are faulty, servo just assists the brake, less foot pressure needed, turn the engine off then pump brake peddle
and keep your foot held on and start the car the brake peddal with your pressure
on still,should go to the floor then as you let the peddle back up it should be hard as you put your foot back on, if servo good?

DAVE R
Old 22-04-2005, 09:53 AM
mark2
PassionFord Regular

hi
master cylinder has just been checked and a1 as for the revs being altered by brake pedal SORTED it turned out to be the rubber seal around the mixture screw it had a split, only noticed as i was cleaning metering head so got new seal and BINGO

with the loading valves at the rear ,i disconnect the push rod with a srew driver by twisting from behind the rubber the i clamp the levers right over so fully open and the first time i tried this about 7months i took 2 bits of clear tubing and attached to calipers and with one push of brake pedal with both nipples open then held down untill all nipples closed and then measured fluid i repeated this many times with the loading lever in different adjustments and got eaqual results to both sides so i think it works well but if anybody else does this method make sure they put a bit of vasaline on the pushrod to aid fitting
going to have another go at bleeding and if no joy abs is coming off
cheers your all gents
mark2