Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ranger gears issue

Search this Thread

Old 24-05-2018, 06:14 PM
landaqmabba
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ranger gears issue

hi folks,

i have a 2006 ford ranger 2.5tdci with a 5 speed manual and selectable 4x4.

problem is 1st and 2nd gears are difficult to engage this is even more so when engine is warm. when engine is off they work fine. even when lower gears wont engage from 3rd up work fine even at dead stop reverse works fine too. when i manage to engage 1 and 2 they drive fine no hesitation or anything, at times i have to put it in low so i get off a dead stop on 3rd gear.

ive also noticed clutch pedal feel spongy and woozy for lack of better descriptive words
Old 25-05-2018, 11:15 AM
RIB1122
Regular Contributor

if you can get the gears with the engine off but hard when the engine running i suspect the clutch isn't clearing correctly!
Old 25-05-2018, 11:20 AM
landaqmabba

Originally Posted by RIB1122
if you can get the gears with the engine off but hard when the engine running i suspect the clutch isn't clearing correctly!
I think so too, only thing that has me stumped is why does reverse work fine and 3rd,4th,5th work fine from dead stop, only 1st and 2nd gears have issues.

But i guess i ll have to start tearing things apart to find out, thanks for the tip
Old 25-05-2018, 06:01 PM
landaqmabba

Got an update now, went to try to identify problem again today, now gears wont engage even with engine off, and it's only 1st and 2nd gears that have this issue, they are very difficult to get in and get out even with engine off.

This leads me to beleive it's more likley a gearbox issue? could it be the selector linkage in the box? or maybe i m lucky and something is stuck where shifter gets in box??
Old 27-05-2018, 02:50 PM
landaqmabba

emptied gearbox oil found dirt in it so i flushed the gearbox with some oil and air. turns out the gaiter locking part that keeps the lever attached to the gearbox got thorn and dirt was coming in whilst oil was coming out also the oil was rubbish, so now i m replacing the oil.

Does anyone know the exact name or part no for the gaiter that has the metal peice pls, also how does it come off the gear lever?

these are some of the numbers on it

these are the rest of the numbers on it

How do i get this gaiter off? and what s the part number for it please?

The entire are around the levers was covered till the top with oil soaked mud so i guess that s why i never saw oil spills, the gaiter is pretty badly thorn so needs replacing found a small piece of rock stuck in linkage beneath once removed all gears are working( a bit hard but guessing cause of no oil)