Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ABS fail

Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM
landaqmabba
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS fail

Hi, I have an 06 Ranger 2.5TDCI,

The ABS is shit at least on mine, doesn't work like ABS normally does lol.

I use it a lot in uneven terrain with lots of uphill and downhill carrying or towing stuff most of the time, also roads have loose surface most of the time (soil, dirt) as i use it for work. My issue is with ABS, brakes are awful i mean at times i m standing on the brakes and the van keeps on moving or doesn't slow at all.

When i disconnected front sensors to not have ABS i m stopping better much better, the stopping power feels better and the van stops in a shorter distance even loaded it still performs better.

I checked and cleaned the sensors also checked for faults but i found nothing wrong, at the moment i m still running without abs as it s better and safer for what i m using it.

Is this something normal with heavy vehicles or is it just mine? I don't like running with abs light on so i m looking for a fix
Old 10-02-2018, 05:09 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

ABS (Anti Lock Braking system) only intervenes when the wheels are about to lock, so you have another problem.

When was the fluid last changed and is the system in a good state otherwise?

I can't see disconnecting the wheel sensors would do anything, all this will do is prevent the system from operating.

It will also fail the MOT on the ABS as you have it at the moment.

Martin
Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 PM
landaqmabba

Oil was changed a few weeks ago as that was my first thought, pads and shoes are fine aswell, I also took sensors out and cleaned them but still same thing was happening.

i was about to remove the abs light and leave it as is lol, but its an led soldered to cluster
Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It doesn't matter (as the Rock would say) as the sequence of the light is part of the MOT test (it is here at least) so it would still fail.

Maybe get an efficiency test done, this would reveal a lot.

Martin
The following users liked this post:
landaqmabba (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM
landaqmabba

what's that test :O ?? well over here as long as brakes brake and no light is on it should pass, however mine is a UK import and i think it had ABS problems even in uk - when i bought it, it had a faulty wheel sensor front right if i remember right i found this cause odometer was not working and when i took cluster out to replace found a mystery bulb that lights on ignition and turns off @ start. New cluster had abs light on I replaced sensor and went off.

Some fancy mechanic fixed it by leaving faulty sensor taking led out and installing this mystery bulb instead and tbh I am loving this idea now

BTW older non abs cars had a compensator (is it spelled correctly?) to adjust bias front to rear depending on load I remember on my fiesta it needed some hammer time every now and then cause it got stuck, do ABS cars still use them? and could mine be sticking? or is this some ancient tech?

guess i m grasping at straws here but worth a mention
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's the rollers that are used during an MOT to test the efficiency of the brakes.

If it's what I am thinking of it's essentially an anti lock valve to prevent the rear wheels from locking.

I don't think yours would have this.

That's why, as I say over here the light needs to go through the correct sequence as part of the MOT and people do such bodges in a bid to disguise it.

Martin
Old 17-02-2018, 10:12 AM
landaqmabba

took for a vrt and it passed the brake test normally, after some talking around and looking everywhere some people where saying it could be due to tires as mine are a bit wider and i leave them a bit low on pressure so i have better traction could it be that low pressure and wider tires cause an issue with abs?