Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cosworth Gearbox Options

Search this Thread

Old 23-09-2017, 11:10 AM
pauloopnorth
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosworth Gearbox Options

My 4x4 Cosworth has eaten its gearbox ,Seems to be widely accepted that the 4x4 box is a bit of a weak link ,I now have 2 options fit the spare 4x4 box i have and keep my fingers crossed combined with being too scared to drive the car hard ,Or I would be interested in converting the car to 2wd in the near future ,But it seems the 2wd boxes now cost over a grand for used and quite probably worn out items , thus leading to another repair being not long away with another bill , Are there any other 2wd gearbox options out there that might not end up costing you a couple of grand and that are easy to do ,Or is it a case of being stuck with whats i've mentioned
Old 23-09-2017, 11:18 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

A few 4x4 options about now the opplinger box is in a couple really high torque m.a.d cars now so definitely worth a look
Old 24-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

For any 4x4 box that is strong you are going to spend over £3000, it is likely to make make more noise although I quite like the noises that come from my Oppliger box, mine is close ratio and by the time I sourced a decent casing and got Bara to build it I was in at about £4,500 with the updated vc etc.

Converting to 2wd will probably harm the resale value of the car I would have thought being non original layout.

Any box will cost a bit if you want the peace of mind of a rebuilt box.