Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Duratec HE engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Smax2006
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratec HE engine issues

Hi all,

I have an engine out of my s max that suffered oil starvation. It's the 2.0 petrol, AODA engine code.

It's stripped down and turns out that it has spun a shell, hence the knocking!

Am looking at rebuilding it but auto data states that the main bearing caps can't be re used, and I can't find any torque settings etc.

The bearing caps haven't got a machined face like I was expecting which is why I guess they can't be re used. Has anyone got any experience with either re using the originals, obviously with new bearings fitted or have a source for standard pistons and rods at a reasonable price? All I seem to be able to find is performance items which for this particular application is no good to me as I'm trying to keep the costs down and it doesn't need to be capable of 200+ Bhp, standard will do just fine!

Or is my only real option to source a new/rebuilt short block and start from there?

Any help/pointers appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 23-06-2017, 07:16 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

You can buy a complete engine for pennies from a breakers, they usually come with a guarantee too. I really wouldnt bother rebuilding it.
Old 24-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Smax2006
Virgin

Been bitten once already with a second hand engine hence asking about rebuilding the original that came out of it first time round!
Old 25-06-2017, 12:04 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

If the bearing caps aren't meant to be reused, surely Ford would list them as a separate item along with the shells?
Old 25-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Smax2006
Virgin

Possibly, Haven't had chance to get into a ford dealer yet.

Has anyone got access to their parts program, ETIS i think its called?!