Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Engine problem Head ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 AM
1986rs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem Head ???

Hello there.
Im after some help please .
I have a 86 sierra cosworth i have had it in storage for near on 5 years originally in NZ where it was driven 2-3 times a year , now its in Aussy it gets started twice a month.
Now getting to the problem, i had noticed it had started missing down low but seems to clear itself on boast, then it started running real rough on idle, then i started it a couple of weeks latter and it would not even idle sounded bad, missing etc.
Thats when i noticed the oil coming from the exhaust manifold , i pulled the plugs and you can see oil sitting on the pistons.
Now i need to find out where it coming from this is what i have done to test.
PULLED THE HOSE FROM TURBO TO IC SEEMS DRY.
A LITTLE BIT OF OIL MIST ON THE COMPRESSOR INTAKE NOT TO BAD.
DID A COMPRESSION TEST 152 PSI - 155 EACH CYCLINDER .
Im thinking valve guides or seals . what do you guys think
Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I'd be inclined to agree with your conclusion
Old 13-06-2017, 08:51 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

you could be right but first if was mine i would change oil and filter and plugs. just starting them in an out over a long time kills plugs and does the oil in. i didnt drive mine for two years i was doing same as you i could see somthing on top of the pistons then the buckets werent working properly cams got noisey. i did the above its sweet as now. if you aint getting much or no blue smoke on over run when its warmed up propper drive on
Old 22-06-2017, 06:25 AM
1986rs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on top of pistons

Ok thanks, I just wanted to know how that could cause oil to be on the top of the pistons and oil coming out the exhaust manifold ?
Old 29-06-2017, 11:37 PM
ray barker

if its not run up to propper temp the pistons wont expand to there running tolerance there smaller when cold as so to say. there desighned to burn oil from new i think its 750 mltrs per 1000 miles. what you might of seen on top of the pistons was probably more prtrol mixed with oil. the cold start on these want be liberal pre cat days and all that. so add on 30 years a bit of wear is it servicable thats the question. when its warmed up propper is it blue smoking bad when you give it the gun or is it a slight puff of blue haze momentaraly. on over run on a steep hill foot of the gas is it chucking out blue smoke if not its servicable. mine will see of plugs the oil looses its viscosity after a couple of winters just running it up with condensasion cold start fuel
Old 29-06-2017, 11:50 PM
ray barker

forgot to mension the alluminium heads dont seal good on top of iron blocks i had both machined up ratted head gasket its a common thing for them to weep oil in that area