Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

05 fiesta flame 1.4 petrol coolant/ radiator issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Timpg
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 fiesta flame 1.4 petrol coolant/ radiator issues

Hi chaps, I'm in a bit of a predicament regarding a 2005 fiesta flame 1.4 petrol. I purchased the car a few months ago as a work bus, but since then it's been issue upon issue. Basically as soon as I bought it, I serviced it myself, flushed the coolant system through, changed oil, filters etc etc. I then noticed a very small coolant weap coming from the rad, passenger side corner, I weren't entirely certain it was from the rad, more like old coolant from when drained the system. There was also a whine/ squeal coming from the what I diagnosed as being the waterpump. I subsequently changed the water pump, thermostat, lambda sensor, aux belts, which seemed to solve the problems..... for a little while. I left work yesterday, got halfway home and noticed the temp gauge shot up and the rad fan was running ( note: I had my suspicions that the fan wasn't running when it should??), I pulled over straight away and turned the car off straight away and popped the bonnet to find coolant spraying out of what I believed to be the rad, but as the fan was running it was difficult to tell as it was going everywhere!!! Question is, obviously I need a new rad, but is there anything untoward that could have caused this situation i.e faulty coolant sensor?? I have suspicions as the fan only came on when the car overheated when the rad spat the coolant out. Next question is: is a rad change a simple job beings that it's got aircon?? Cheers in advance
Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Can't see it being anyworse a job than a water pump on that model. If you replaced the water pump yourself you should have no bother changing a rad.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Timpg
Virgin

Haha! It wasn't that bad to be honest, just a bit tight to get to that's all, beings that it doesn't run off the cam belt made it a lot easier. Would you suggest that a faulty coolant temp sensor is the cause of my issues??? Am I correct in assuming I can locate this on the cylinder head? Cheers
Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Cylinder head temp sensor from memory is between spark plugs. If you are replacing it get a genuine ford one.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Timpg
Virgin

Yea iv looked about on other forums and they mostly suggested around the cylinder head area. Others stated under the thermostat housing.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Timpg
Virgin

Just took the air box off and can't find anything obvious in regards to coolant temp sensor! Also do I have to remove air con pipes in order to remove the rad, I just had a quick look and it seems it's all one unit, I may be wrong!!