Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Wipers not working at all?

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2017, 08:51 AM
timewellnick
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wipers not working at all?

Hi guys, I have almost finished re-building my sapphire cosworth 4x4. Before taking apart, all the electrics worked.

I have only taken the loom out and put it back in again, and now the wipers will not work at all, neither will the headlight wipers or the washer pumps. I am thinking supply problem? Fuse is however ok (checked with multimeter)

Another niggly fault which was there before is on the lamp failure unit, the rear light warnings are on (although they work) and one headlight warning is on (it also works) and also the handbrake light is always on regardless of whether the handbrake is on or off?? These little faults were there before but I thought that taking the loom out and cleaning all the earths etc up would fix these - it hasn't!
Old 15-04-2017, 11:25 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

You need to check if you have power to the respective motors.

The monitor could have a bad control unit, although problems like this are usually caused by bad grounds.

Resistance elsewhere can also cause issues, as they look for a certain value.

Re the handbrake, the light is grounded, unplug the switch first, if there is no change then there is a short in the ground somewhere (most likely).

Martin
Old 15-04-2017, 05:00 PM
timewellnick

Hi, thanks for the reply.

wipers - The motors were both working fine when taken off, they have been stored correctly so I can't see both would fail? I will check for voltage though and get back with a reply.

handbrake - should of thought of that lol

monitor - I do have a spare control unit so I will try that, is it possible that incorrect bulbs have been fitted? Although what you say about earths seems sensible. Would earthing the rear light clusters directly to the chassis be the first step?
Old 15-04-2017, 05:01 PM
timewellnick

If there is no voltage at the wiper motors, what would you suspect first, fusebox fault?
Old 15-04-2017, 06:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

If there was no power then you would work your way back to the box.

I am assuming you know that the rears will stay on until the brake pedal is operated?

It could be, you can easily remove them and check the ratings.

Martin
Old 17-04-2017, 04:34 PM
timewellnick

Ok, so I have fixed the wipers, it was a dodgy connection at the stalk.

The handbrake light was a stuck switch.

The rear lights, I have taken the bulbs out of, they are 21w/5w. On the metal bulb holder, it says they should be 21w/4w, would this be why the rear light warning is on?

I had tried pressing the brake pedal as I knew you had too to get the light on the dash to go out, they just blink slightly.