Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

transit diesel randomly cuts out.

Old 24-03-2017, 05:07 PM
francis13
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transit diesel randomly cuts out.

Hi, I have a motorhome with a 2006 Transit duratorq di (model 125 T350) with 35,000 miles.
While on holiday, a cutting out problem has started to occur. The problem is random. The engine cuts out and the glo plug lamp flashes. The van coasts to a stop and I have to turn ignition off/on and it starts first turn and will run ok until next time, which may be 5 miles or 200 miles later. I have noticed that: The engine does not actually cut out but drops to tickover speed.
Accelorator does not respond
Glow plug lamp flashes
Van coasts to a stop and engine ticks over with glo plug lamp still flashing
To move away again I turn ignition off/on and start as normal on the first turn and all is ok again until the next time.
I have noticed that when the fault occurs, and while still moving, if I turn the ignition off/on and without turning to the starting position, the glo plug lamp has gone off and the engine then carries on ok again, until the next random fault which may be on the same journey or next day. I have looked at some old forums and some suggestion have been:
Fuel pump or filter
Crankshaft sensor (no camshaft sensor fitted as not common rail engine)
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by francis13; 26-03-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 26-03-2017, 11:33 AM
francis13
Virgin

I may try to change the crank position sensor as this is mentioned in previous threads over the years, but am having trouble to identify the location. If it is the one arrowed, then I can't see how it can be possible to change it as too awkward to remove/ refit/adjust. Is this the location?
Old 29-03-2017, 09:44 AM
francis13
Virgin

Default throttle pedal

Hi, I took it to Sandicliffe Ford and they checked the diagnostics and found just the one fault code for each of the times it had failed. This was the accelerator pedal. They fitted a new one and "configured" it, and all is now ok. Thanks,

Search this Thread