Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

blanking egr

Old 05-03-2017, 07:30 PM
landaqmabba
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blanking egr

Hi,
My 06 ranger 2.5 TDCI is turning on the check engine light, having 2 codes for EGR: P0401 exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected and P0404 exhaust gas recirculation control circuit range/performance.

I checked, but replacement EGR is almost 300 pounds and i m not fitting a used one.

I was thinking to blank it off, but a quick internet search and it appears that if i do i will get a constant check engine light cause the EGR will not be there. If I leave it there with blanking plates I think I will still get insufficient flow one.

Am I correct in assuming so? also is there an easy way around this? (without removing the check engine light)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Cossiemainful
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, if the EGR isn't broken, you can try to give it a good clean. You could buy a used working one (or yours from the car) and soak it for at least 24h in brake cleaner or the like. Should be one cheapest solution. Hope it helps. Dunno, if you can disable it from the software/ECU.
Cheers

Last edited by Cossiemainful; 06-03-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If it is electronically controlled then blanking it off will give a fault code. I should imagine it is, which is why you are getting the problems.

As said, take it off and try cleaning it.

Search this Thread