Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Which DTA managment ?

Search this Thread

Old 24-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Which DTA managment ?

Hello folks,

I would appreiciate a little advice on which ecu I need. My engine is the 1.8 Mondeo silver top and I've fitted an rst exhaust manifold and turbo. My local turner is a dta dealer and whilst I don't know all the inns and outs of it all the advice he's giving me don't sound quite right to me. Could someone confirm which ecu I need and where to get hold of an engine wiring loom to suit please ?

Thanks in advance

Adder
Old 24-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Pick a tuner that you want to work with and take their recommended product. Mark Shead is who I used at MA Develoments, I believe Norris Motorsport is very good and MSD have a good rep too but not sure if they do aftermarket.

Cheaper end is Emerald but Dave could poss supply a loom and base map and either get him to map it or emerald friendly tuner.
Old 25-01-2017, 02:17 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I'd recommend devil developments
Old 25-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the replys fellas,

I'm happy to run a dta management as recommended by my local tuner but what I'm after is a better understanding of what ever he's trying to sell me for example I think the S40Pro will work. I think these are about the £600 mark which I'm ok with but then he's wanting £350 on top of that for the engine wiring loom which I think is a bit rich.

When you buy a stand alone management is there a company that will provide a loom that will match the original multi plug on the standard engine ( lnjectors, Iscv , air temp etc ) or do have to find out what pin dose what and make one your self ?

Adder
Old 25-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Often the emerald has plug n play on popular cars. I don't think £350 is bad for a bespoke engine loom.
Old 25-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
I don't think £350 is bad for a bespoke engine loom.
Lovely mate thankyou if that's about the going rate then that's ok. Because I've never had one I was'nt sure

Cheers

Adder
Old 25-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Adder
Lovely mate thankyou if that's about the going rate then that's ok. Because I've never had one I was'nt sure

Cheers

Adder
I think I paid about that for my cossie loom, I know what you mean, you don't mind spending as long as you are not being fleeced. Let us know how you get on. I know the dta is a good bit of kit.

Trending Topics

Old 26-01-2017, 09:17 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Martin at MEF Motorsport can supply both the ecu's and a loom.

And whilst the S40 will run the engine ok.....I would always urge to go for at least the S60. It's just a better ecu with more ability and also datalogging. The S40 really is an entry level unit.

But most places will supply an independent loom to run the engine only.

If you wanted it to plug into the existing loom you'd need to make a patch harness or re-terminate your existing loom to suit the DTA.
Obviously either of these routes can present their own challenges and you'd need all the info relating to the cars wiring and existing ecu pinouts. But in many ways it can be a nicer option.
On older cars it shouldnt be too difficult...more modern stuff can be more awkward.
The following users liked this post:
Adder (03-02-2017)