Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.8cvh power

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2016, 10:41 AM
MrEngineerdat
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8cvh power

Hi guys, i can appreciate the 1.8cvh was never known as a powerhouse, but i'm having trouble believing how the manufacturers could have released such a piece of shit to the market... Or is it just me, with this particular one? I know its meant to be ECO and not much fun in standard format, but I feel like driving it into a very thick brick wall at the moment and leaving it there.

Anyway, i have a sierra laser and the throttle responds like the police respond to someone robbing you. I really cant believe it, whatever i do to the mixtures it still responds tomorrow. Theres no air leaks. Connections and sensors are good. Timings not adjustable (apart from octane adjusting wire which has remained at 95 while i use 95fuel). The carbs been apart for cleaning and some time has been taken to assure the plug running colours are good (with correct plug gaps). And it still mugs me off every time i want to accellerate, causing me to use WOT regularly. It has a Pierburg 2E carb with different size chokes, which i dont like (i dont think this gives a progressive anything, its irritating especially on wet corners)
It pisses me off and if i cant fix it, im getting shot of it, simple; but i would like to have it do what i ask, as you would expect of any car. After all, even with running problems it aint bad on milage, but i cant see it lasting very long with regular WOT because of being the most un responsive car i ever drove.
Its only done 70k bless it, so it'd be good to keep it a standard runner if poss.
What might you suggest guys? Any help or advise if you know this setup already, would be amazing, and thanks in advance.

PS thoughts... I wondered if the primary choke jet wasnt working, giving me a lack of instant torque, but i was wrong, it works.
I wondered if the vacuum was eratic so fitted a guage, but from experience with this in the past, i'd say its behaving itself vacuum wise.
I wondered if the compression was down, but when tested its very good indeed.

Most annoying, as i feel im doing things right, but the car dont wanna know.

When driving (warmed up)
mecar > car > me > car > me > me and the missus > me and the missus afterward > so later on > and the car does this
Old 24-02-2016, 09:55 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i would bin that engine off and put a BOA 24v in there and i just so happen to have one for sale
Old 24-02-2016, 10:42 AM
djmca
Bring back old skool Ford

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as tuning potential goes...... there is none! They were built for economy and nothing else. Way underpowered for a car of that size/weight.

You would spend twice the money of a full engine conversion to gain any extra power.

Your first mistake is trying to do anything with a Pierburg carb. They are complete cack!!

Stick a Weber on, they are a far superior carb to Pierburg, far easier worked with and will let the engine breathe easier which can only be a good thing.

Last edited by djmca; 24-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 24-02-2016, 01:24 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

A 2.0 Pinto sounds the best thing for it at the minute.

A 24v would make you smile but the parts list would be long and it's an involved job.

Pinto with Weber carb would be more practical by the sounds of it.

Exhaust & fuel run down the opposite sides of the car though I think, but shouldn't be too hard to sort.

I've had countless CVH Sierra's over the years and thoroughly hated every single one of them. (not the cars)
Old 28-02-2016, 05:11 PM
steppy
PassionFord Regular

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The 1.8 cvh is better used as a doorstop I've only ever drove one and it was terrible, all my sierra's have been pinto or twincam, the pinto idea from mk22door is a really good one, do you have a budget?

Last edited by steppy; 28-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.