Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Heater blower loss of power Fiesta Mk7

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 PM
TomHulbert
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Heater blower loss of power Fiesta Mk7

Evening all, I wonder if guys can help with a problem that I've been ignoring for a year or so now. I've searched high and low for a solution but can't find one online, in Haynes etc. Trying not to go to the dealers as it'll cost £££.

The internal ventilation blower on my Mk 7 (58 plate) 1.6 TDCI Zetec S just isn't putting in the effort it used to. The air coming out of the vents is slow and only has enough force to mildly warm my knuckles when on full power.

The blower operates on all 1, 2, 3 & 4 settings and I can hear in increase in noise (and some minor increase in air output). The noise isn't louder than the other MK7 we have so probably not the motor.

I suffer with a lot of internal mist when i start the car, possibly because I live by the sea where the humidity is high. But I'm going to change the pollen filter this weekend to see if that help solve this and maybe the main problem.

Has anyone had any or heard of a problem like this before, your comments and advice would be very welcome. My chain of possible causes are;
  1. A leak in the ventilation ducts, with air not making it to the cabin properly.
  2. Distribution flap fault stopping full flow to one set of vents.
  3. Resistor pack damaged by low flow due to pollen filter probably never being changed. But wouldn't this cause the common 1,2,3 fine 4 faulty.
  4. Blower motor... doh
  5. Relay issue... clutching at straws?

Thanks in advance for replying, you may save my sanity/life (driving when misty isn't healthy)

Tom
Old 07-01-2016, 10:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Heater blower loss of power Fiesta Mk7

I'd say the pollen filter or air intake for the fan is blocked. Usually if the windscreen seal goes, the filter gets soaking wet and give you the symptoms you are having.
The following users liked this post:
TomHulbert (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 05:01 PM
TomHulbert
Virgin

RichieST you were spot on with the pollen filter judgement. Take a look at the pic below of the dirty pollen filter. Looks like they've never changed it despite having a full Ford Dealer service history. Took it out, replaced it an nearly blew my eyebrows off.

I remember taking it to them for a major service twice and still having a blower problem. Guess they don't change pollen filters as a regular service item. Haynes states every year or 12500.

At least anyone else with this problem will hopefully find this thread helpful.

Last edited by TomHulbert; 09-01-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added last line
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Look at your invoices to see if you have been charged for the work, if so go and get your money back!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

our works cars are just the same, the heaters on full whack and it's the jeremy clarkon "asthmatic blowing at you, through a straw" analogy

been like that since the summer so you can imagine the ac is on full yet you have to open the widows because it's getting a bit hot

was it an easy thing to find?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:15 PM
TomHulbert
Virgin

Originally Posted by dojj
was it an easy thing to find?
Really easy. Drivers side footwell/central column, remove a single x screw and pull the trim out (won't break). There's a 1" wide black plastic cover to the filter with a single torque screw at the base. Just inline with the clutch pedal.

£12 for a replacement carbon filter from Eurocar Parts or cheaper (£5). Sorted.

I will be giving the stealers a call on monday for a rant.
The following users liked this post:
dojj (10-01-2016)