Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

MK1 Focus 1.8 petrol, chugging during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Richard Holt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK1 Focus 1.8 petrol, chugging during acceleration

Hi, I haveFord Focus MK1, 1.8 zetec, 2000 plate, petrol engine.

I had faulty spark plug, after a service and on a very short journey home the car was coughing and spluttering, obviously missing. I found and replaced the faulty plug (number 1 for ref.), along with the ht leads. Took her out on for a motorway shake-down run and she is still chugging and coughing during acceleration. Once I got it up to speed, it ran pretty well cruising along.

The car starts first time, is not cutting out on idle, speedo reads fine, no warning lights, although I can hear a mad fast clicking (like the indicator click) behind the dash during acceleration. just coughs under any sort of acceleration (light or hard) I think the coil pack is next to replace and check the fuses. Any additional ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Rich
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Richard Holt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem, it was the coil pack (simple stuff). It is now fixed, runs great and the random clicking has gone from behind the clock. I read that it quite a common problem with all Fords apparently. Symtons were as described, more of splutter rather than a miss (a bit random, but there you go).

If people still have issues after this, check your fuel filter/sensors/relays (if you know what to look for) or get a diagnostic check before conducting further work in striping stuff down to clean/repair etc.

Hope this helps.