Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mk1 Focus Zetec lean issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM
badj
repeat offender

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mk1 Focus Zetec lean issue

I've done a search on this and haven't really sorted the issue. To take it back to the original issue...

The car would often bog down and splutter, coincidentally if the fuel level was below 1/4 tank or when exiting a roundabout past 12 o'clock position, so I thought it was down to perhaps the fuel filter and fuel flow, eventually the EML came on (P0171) and the car became more and more undriveable (like a totally lean misfire under load, hardly moving from traffic lights or uphill ~5mph max). Anyway, having changed the filter the problem hasnt improved - I tried running with the MAF disconnected, which made no difference, even with the upstream HO2S disconnected (which I'd assume would create a richer than required mixture based on a default map which should be a better scenario than running lean) it made no difference.

Anyway, todays findings showed me that the rubber elbow was collapsing under vacuum at the rear of the inlet manifold, so I fixed that, cleared the fault codes and went for a small test run around the block. It is slightly better but still runs what I would describe as excessively lean, occasionally hesitating under load and with any more than 1/2 throttle.

I can hear the fuel pump working but I'm also aware that they can be a problem - based on the original symptoms is it possible that it could be failing? I can't get any fault codes to reappear (not even pending codes) and I dont want to risk taking the car too far on a run for fear of it not returning/causing damage.

I've tried a search, as previously mentioned, and I can't seem to come up with any other possibilities ? No visible vacuum leaks, new ngk iridium plugs, new HO2S on the way regardless but I don't see it being the problem.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately sounds like a fuel pump issue
Old 13-08-2011, 12:45 PM
badj
repeat offender

I've done a few little jobs on it including the O2 sensor (original was rusty and had ford emblem so no doubt hadn't been changed for a while) and it seemed to start in open loop pretty well as it idled from cold at around 1100rpm ish, when normally it would be 800-900. I didnt test it however because there is this problem still apparent -

If you turn the key and try to start the engine straight away (i.e. as soon as pump kicks in) it will start on the button, but if you leave it on pre-ignition for a few seconds and then try to start it, it just turns over and never starts. The clock light is out so I doubt its the usual PATS issue - I'm thinking perhaps its related to fuel pressure?
Old 13-08-2011, 09:09 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

are yu runnin a fuel regulator? could be fucked. your fuel pump could be on its way.. check the voltage power going t the fuel pump mate... if not get it checked on a dyno before you blow it up bud its something minor