Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Whirring Noise

Search this Thread

Old 13-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Nik_W
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring Noise

My Cossie always had a whirring noise to it last year and I thought nothing of it. But after reading about cambelt tensioners, etc. I thought I may aswell mention it. I have just changed the cambelt and replaced the power steering and alternator belts and the noise is very noticable. the car hasn't been on the road since last october as she is having a fair few bits changed. I took the cambelt tensioner off and it seemed to spin freely in my hand with no play, etc. so I thought it would be ok to reuse. The noise can't be the power steering pump because I never had a belt on it for most of last Summer So, could it be the cambelt tensioner, or something else? I have never renewed a cambelt tensioner on any car in the past, but from what I have read elsewhere it seems to be the done thing on the YB.
Old 14-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Simmo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you replaced the cambelt you didn't tension it too tight did you?... cos that can cause the whirring noise, i know i've done it myself!!! As for replacing the tensioner, it would probably be worth it if you don't know whether its been done before or if it looks a bit tired.
Old 14-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Nik_W

No the belt wasn't too tight, just spoke to Harvey Gibbs and he said it sounds like it could be the tensioner. I am gonna replace anyway, if it turns out to be something else then so be it.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Nik_W

Right, I took my tensioner to harvey and he confimred that it was fooked. I bought a new one and put it on. However, there is still a whirring noise. I am pretty certain it was coming from the camshaft area so I took the rocker off and took the exhuast cam out to take a look at the bearings. I slipped the bearings off, they weren't spinning very freely but after a clean up they are now spinning a bit better. There is a little bit of play in them aswell. I haven't checked the inlet cam, but I am guessing it will be pretty much the same as both camshafts seem to making a similar noise. Any advice would be appreciated, does it sound like these bearings have had it. If so, how much are replacements?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Nik_W

bttt
Old 06-03-2005, 10:44 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when u say whiring noise, does it get faster as the rpm rises? and can u hear it inside the car or only when the bonnet is open?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:58 PM
nikh667
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

By cam bearings i'm assuming you mean the two roller bearings directly behind the cam pulleys? Not heard of anyone having probs with these? I'd imaging they'd have to be pretty knackered to make any significant noise. Anyone else had probs with them?

Apart from that i'd check also the tension of the 2 alternator belts and PAS belt, make sure not overtight. Cambelt tension as a rough, rough guide can be checked by gently turning belt along its longest edge - should just turn about 90degs, any less then maybe too tight.

You can use a long screwdriver to "listen" to each surrounding compenent with engine running - to help pinpoint any poss bearing failure in water pump, alternator etc.. - BUT, only do this if you're confident - if you drop that 'driver onto the cambelt or any other rotating parts you'll be worse off!

BE WARNED - good luck!
Old 07-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Cam bearings give plenty of trouble. Bin em, they are cheap.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:19 AM
Nik_W

Cheers Stu.

I took the alt and PAS belts off and ran the engine for a few seconds to eliminate those, and the noise was still there.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Nik_W

Just in case anyone is interested in prices, Ford sell the camshaft bearings for £8.50 + VAT which is cheaper than Burton Power I'll buy them and report back here to let you know if these solve the problem.