Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Pedal Box installation, brake set up advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Wardy ZS
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pedal Box installation, brake set up advise needed

Hey guys,

Had a quick seatch and couldnt find my answer, so hoping some of you can help me out.

I've bought an OBP pedal box for my Mk5 Fiesta (I've read a few negative comments on these, but its what I have and dont intend to change it) and plan to fit this along with a set of Hi-Spec 4 pots up front, and Focus single pot rears.

I have everything in place, and already took advise from another owner that used to race Fiesta's with an identical set-up, so cylinder ratios are sorted. My main query lays with how to run lines corretly and in what order.

To make things easier I've done a "diagram" for someone to draw lines as to what goes where. My main query is do I run a single line from front brake cylinder, then use a T-Piece to split it from L-R, or do I run a line for each from the cylinder. Likewise for the rears. I seem to recall that the fronts were originally on individual set up front and rear, and the rear split between the two.

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated. Diagram is below:

Old 29-03-2011, 09:54 PM
wes
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ideally you'd have 1 line coming out of each brake master cylinder that goes into a T piece, then to each caliper, trying to keep the length of the lines going from the T piece to the calipers the same.

Old 30-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Wardy ZS
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's perfect, thank you very much for the response.

I assume the need to keep pipes equal lengths is to ensure that braking forces are equal on each wheel?

Lastly will the brakes function correctly without a servo? As I've had several people advise me that I need a servo, yet I know most kit cars don't use them.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:35 PM
wes
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's more to make things look neat really it doesn't make much difference in practice, if you look on most standard cars you'll see they aren't exact equal lengths, and on some motorbikes the front brake line from the brake cylinder goes to one caliper on the front wheel and then off to the other one.

I don't run a servo in my cossie and it works fine, you have to press the pedal a bit harder compared to a servo assisted car but nothing to write home about, this will depend on your setup though i.e. brake pedal ratio and master cylinder sizes.