Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd cosworth diff mount

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2011, 02:37 PM
BIG MULL
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd cosworth diff mount

hi, my rear diff mount is now passed it and wanting a replacement but as you can no longer get an original one from ford any more, i am wanting to know if the new cnc ones are any good or do you get vibrations or transmission noise thru the car as its a road car and not a track weapon?

cheers.
Old 20-03-2011, 06:59 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have tried a std one, a std one poly filled in the voids, and a full poly one.
The only thing I noticed was a SMALL amount of vibration, so small you keep forgetting about it, as it is really is only minor, I also found a drumming sound on mine when the fuel tank was at a certain level and I was doing a certain speed, a simple stick on acoustic pad that cost me £6 cure it 100%, as it took the resonant frequency outside that the mount could create.
The difference is night and day in terms of car control, you won't regret it.
If a bufty and wanting the std/ish look these can be poly filled and work perfectly, at least as well as the after market full poly ones, but at way under 1/2 the price.
tabetha
Old 20-03-2011, 08:10 PM
BIG MULL

cheers tabetha,
when you say you used the sticky pad where did you stick it exactly?,
and how do you polly fill a std one and how long would it last bud?
cheers for the reply
Old 20-03-2011, 10:17 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

As I'd only just put a new tank on mine I dropped it enough to stick the pad on top, I put it on the top as thought it would eventually become detached if on underside, I'm not sure but think I may have stuck one on the bottom as well to start with, but it's certainly not there now, but most don't have this problem, no one else has mentioned it anyway, most people in the car didn't even notice, maybe it's my cossie paranoia!!
The std one can be poly filled, my mate did a few for me, one of which is in Iceland on a 1/4 mile sprint car, it's been perfect, how long would it last ?, it would outlast the normal type of poly rear imo, it simply adds resistance to the std one so no fitting issues, and last one cost me £25 to do, the mount is sealed on one side, then held so the top surface is level, then filled with poly slowly so no air bubbles, and allowed to set, makes a massive difference to stiffness, over a much much larger area than the "std" poly type.
tabetha
Old 20-03-2011, 10:43 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
As I'd only just put a new tank on mine I dropped it enough to stick the pad on top, I put it on the top as thought it would eventually become detached if on underside, I'm not sure but think I may have stuck one on the bottom as well to start with, but it's certainly not there now, but most don't have this problem, no one else has mentioned it anyway, most people in the car didn't even notice, maybe it's my cossie paranoia!!
The std one can be poly filled, my mate did a few for me, one of which is in Iceland on a 1/4 mile sprint car, it's been perfect, how long would it last ?, it would outlast the normal type of poly rear imo, it simply adds resistance to the std one so no fitting issues, and last one cost me £25 to do, the mount is sealed on one side, then held so the top surface is level, then filled with poly slowly so no air bubbles, and allowed to set, makes a massive difference to stiffness, over a much much larger area than the "std" poly type.
tabetha
why would it out last the normal type of polly ones lol you are just filling in the voids over the rubber each side of a standard one also the ones you buy have a much smaller flexy part so less likely to wear out as it will not move about as much and mine bolted on no harder than a standard one did
Old 21-03-2011, 10:27 AM
BIG MULL

Thanks for the replys lads the info is a big help
Old 21-03-2011, 07:07 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by ajamesc
why would it out last the normal type of polly ones lol you are just filling in the voids over the rubber each side of a standard one also the ones you buy have a much smaller flexy part so less likely to wear out as it will not move about as much and mine bolted on no harder than a standard one did
Why would it outlast ?, it has the same force spread over a much larger area.
My poly one also bolted on no bother, even with my tow bar metal work there, and my 22mm custom/adjustable rear arb.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 21-03-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 21-03-2011, 07:23 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Why would it outlast ?, it has the same force spread over a much larger area.
My poly one also bolted on no bother, even with my tow bar metal work there, and my 22mm custom/adjustable rear arb.
tabetha
im not saying it wont last but it will not out last one of the ones you can buy and no way out perform it as yours is just polly around the rubber mount also being a bigger surface area it will flex more also the ones you can buy are a small ridged bit of polly with 2 bolt tubes sandwiched between too plates so a very solid item with almost no flex in it which is what you are after as you are tryeing to stop the diff from moveing lol their is always a cheaper way of doing things but its hardley ever a better way lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 21-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.