Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Starting issue with Mk3 Focus 1.8 TDCI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
bazzer107
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue with Mk3 Focus 1.8 TDCI

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle with me

I have a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Duratorque and I have had starting issues with, let me explain;
When ever we have had a cold spell the car would start and run for 10-15 seconds then cut out, after trying to start for 1-2 mins it would start and run without any issues.

Forward onto the next cold spell and we would have the same issue again. I have checked the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) which has logged no faults! I have replaced the cam position sensor which is a know fault on these diesels as well.

I have noticed that there is a ticking/whining noise coming the engine bay even when the engine has not started but the ignition has been switched on and it stops 10+ seconds after the ignition has been switched off or when I remove the connector plug from it. The part where the noise is coming from is in the picture added below behind the oil filler cap.

Last edited by bazzer107; 01-03-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 16-03-2011, 05:02 PM
dogdays
Virgin

I got my2007 Focus 1.8 tdci back from the Ford agent today. They had cleaned out the EGR valve and found nothing wrong but did find that the Common Rail pressure was low due to a blocked fuel filtre. This lot cost £250. They also found a big oil leak that is going to cost along with the timing belt change £595+Vat. The car was only serviced 3000 miles ago. Thank god this is a company car.

I also met a guy in the agents who has a 3 year old fiesta with an engine that stops when it feels like it. He says he will spend £250 on the problem and if not fixed he will get shot of it.

Last edited by dogdays; 16-03-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add extras
Old 27-03-2011, 09:12 AM
bazzer107
Virgin

Originally Posted by dogdays
I got my2007 Focus 1.8 tdci back from the Ford agent today. They had cleaned out the EGR valve and found nothing wrong but did find that the Common Rail pressure was low due to a blocked fuel filtre. This lot cost £250. They also found a big oil leak that is going to cost along with the timing belt change £595+Vat. The car was only serviced 3000 miles ago. Thank god this is a company car.

I also met a guy in the agents who has a 3 year old fiesta with an engine that stops when it feels like it. He says he will spend £250 on the problem and if not fixed he will get shot of it.
Hi Dogdays,
Thanks for the info, looks like owning a TDCI costs you!!!!!
Found loads of faults with the diesel models, wish I had stuck with the 1.8 16V Petrol which I had no issues with.